Trying Again

January 15, 2012 by Katie

So this past summer, when I first discovered healthy food blogs, but hadn’t started my own, I read about overnight oats and gave them a try. Let’s say, I wasn’t a fan.

However, EVERYONE seems to love them! I decided I should give them another shot. I realized one of the issues I had was they were so compact. I had only used oats, yogurt and a little milk. This time, I didn’t use yogurt and I added chia seeds and protein powder. I got a bunch of my ideas from Julie on PB Fingers. She put up a post about her overnight oats, and then ideas from readers. Check them out!

Saturday morning I had an early doctor appointment out in the suburbs, so I made up these oats the night before to take with me. I named them because of the dough-like taste the Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder gave them!

Dough-Boy Overnight Oats

Ingredients

1/2 Cup GF Oatmeal (I use Trader Joe’s brand)

3/4 cup almond milk

1 scoop vanilla Sunwarrior protein powder

1 T Chia seeds

1 packet Truvia

Directions

Mix ingredients together in a bowl and place in refrigerator overnight. Should be liquidy.  The next morning, add 1/4 cup almond milk and mix around. Then add any toppings! I added some sliced strawberries and walnut pieces!

It was delicious, I’m definitely a fan and may be eating these more since I have 8:30 am classes three days a week this semester. And for me, 8:30am class means leaving my apartment by 7:15-7:30!

After my appointment I went grocery shopping to make some good food for the week (SO many new recipes I want to try) and then I got some coffee with Chelsey, and had a great time catching up!

When I got back to the city and had some lunch, I headed over to my brothers to just hang out with him and this little lady.

I ended up staying quite a while! Haha I think I was using them to transition from being at home with everyone around. Oh, and we watched the beginning of Mrs. Doubtfire. Who remembers that movie??!?! With Robin Williams!? I LOVED Mrs. Doubtfire!

What’s a movie you’ve seen on TV or online recently that you used to love as a kid?

Have you ever tried overnight oats? What do you think?

1. faithrises says:

Sounds so-oooo good! I love TraderJoe’s. I shop there all the time and I usually get the steel cut oats. Adding protein powder is a great idea and I always use truvia so I know that I’m going to enjoy this. Thanks!.

2. I love overnight oats! However, in the winter, I have to have my oats hot – it’s too cold outside! We never take pictures. We are horrible. Oh! And I remembered yesterday after we left – remember how you were talking about the Kardashians? Well, Kim Kardashian was in the dream I had when I had the baby. Weird?

3. PB&Jenny says:

I’ve been dying to try the “dough boy oats” but I don’t have a blender (yeah, should probably invest in one before smoothie season!) did you use a blender to mix up your oats in the morning or just a spoon/fork?

• These are different from Kath’s dough boy smoothie, I think that’s what you’re thinking of. No blender was involved here, I just called it that because of the taste the protein powder gave to the oatmeal.

4. I love overnight oats! I might have to whip up a batch of those tonight!

5. I’m glad you tried them again and liked them! They’re the best for busy mornings and if you add protein powder and nuts they have amazing staying power!

6. fitpeanut says:

Not a movie, but lately I’ve been watching Dragon Ball Z on TV :p

I love overnight oats !

7. melanie says:

Oh that golden is soooo cute!! She is getting big! I always love when you show pictures of her!!:)

8. I much prefer hot oats unless I know I will be in a rush that morning and want the extra sleep, then I will prep some overnight oats. I agree with you, they are too thick for my liking. Maybe i should nix the greek yogurt and just do more milk.

9. Smore says:

I’ve never had overnight oats before but have seen them around the blog world quite a bit! I do want to give them a try especially when I have busy mornings. andd I was in KC the other night and had yogurtini.. hands down my new fave yogurt place :)

10. I like overnight oats but prefer a little more volume with my food. They are delicious though!

11. Nadiya says:

Overnight oats all the way because who has the time to cook in the mornings :P Never tried putting protein powder in oats though. Does it change the taste much?

• My protein powder has kind of a chalky distinct taste (I like it, some people don’t) so it changes the taste. I think it depends on what kind you use. Worth a shot though! It’s less obvious when you use lots of cinnamon though!