Yoga and Dinner–Blogger Style

January 31, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone! I hope your weeks have started off well!

This weekend I had the pleasure of going to a fee yoga class and then dinner with a few other Chicago-area bloggers!

The group included Cate from Good For You Blog, Diana from Veggie Next Door, Alexandria from Eat Well Run Well, and Marisa from Mind Over Booty.

IMG_0265

Our evening began at Moksha Yoga in the Lakeview area of Chicago. They have a free 90 minute vinyasa class every Saturday, so it was a perfect place for us to meet up and have a fun activity to do! I’ve tried several kinds of yoga, and I’ve done vinyasa, however this was different from any yoga class I’ve ever been to… Haha.

The teacher was actually a student teacher (which was fine because it was free! and she was so nice). However, we did some things that were a bit odd to me, using blankets to sit on, a lot of work with the blocks, and a strap. We also did some moves against the wall to practice balance, which was a bit annoying to me since I could do the moves without the wall, but I guess her class was geared more towards beginners to the practice.

I can’t say it was my favorite class because I like feeling like I still get a workout from yoga, and I definitely didn’t feel that way with this class. However, it was technically my rest day, so I guess it worked out!

I will give the teacher one thing: those 90 minutes FLEW by! She definitely kept my attention and I was never bored, which is something I fear when it comes to 90 minute yoga classes!

After our class we headed over to Native Foods for dinner, an all vegetarian restaurant.

It was a really neat restaurant with tons of options and had a normal, yet very healthy menu (with things like kale and quinoa) but replaced any “meat” with things like seitan, tempeh and tofu. For example, Diana got a gyro bowl, which looked like it really had lamb in it! Haha it made me want a real gyro!

Unfortunately for me, since I can’t eat soy, my options were incredibly limited… I found about 3 things I could get on the menu and ended up choosing the Greek Goddess Salad:

Fresh cut romaine lettuce tossed with Kalamata olives, crisp cucumbers, red onions, and peppers, with a roasted tomato oregano vinaigrette.  Topped with homemade ‘Native feta’, sweet balsamic glaze and crispy chickpeas.

Okay, so I feel like I’m being a serious complainer, but I have to be honest. I ordered this because I thought the chickpeas would help make the dish filling, since I had no protein (the feta cheese was fake… lol and did NOT taste like feta). However, there were about 7 chickpeas on my salad… Let’s just say I had a second dinner when I got home.

Although I was not thrilled about paying $9 for what was basically a side salad, the dressings on the salad were absolutely delicious! I have a feeling that I would have loved this restaurant if I could eat soy! Everyone’s dishes looked delicious!

So despite not getting to order what I wanted, I was too distracted by the other girls to care! I had a wonderful time meeting up with them, we chatted about everything from blogging to yoga and running to dating! It was a lot of fun and I really hope to get back together with them again!

Thanks ladies for a great evening!

Have you ever been to a restaurant where you felt like you couldn’t order anything?

What’s a new activity that you’ve tried out recently?

Don’t forget to check out my Trop50 Giveaway! Entries until Tuesday, January 31st at Midnight!

1. It was SO nice to meet you, Katie! The student teachers at Moksha rotate all the time, so if you go again you might get a more challenging class. I’ve definitely had some tough ones there before!

Such a bummer about your salad. Maybe next time they can make you something custom, like adding quinoa to it. It’s definitely hard to be soy-free at a vegan restaurant!

2. Run Eat Play says:

I’m in the Chicago suburbs! Looks like you had a fun time! I have a hard time ordered off menus at restaurants. I don’t eat meat (just fish sometimes) but I don’t want to always have to order a salad! Can’t wait to read more of your blog!

3. I’m sorry you didn’t love Native Foods, I’ve been meaning to go there for awhile (especially since they opened one in the Loop).

Salads at restaurants can be incredibly frustrating, they’re always $$ and rarely are really filling.

And as to the comment above, we should do a big Chicago meet up!

4. Being somewhere that you can’t order anything is the absolute worst! I’ve been in that situation many times with all my allergies :(

5. I love blogger meet ups! Such a shame that your meal was disappointing, its horrible when you feel like you have zero options available!

6. Olivia says:

I hate when that happens! There’s an amazing 99% vegan restaurant where I live that has the best meatless foods. And I’m no longer a vegetarian, but I still love their foods. So did all our meat loving relatives we would bring there!

7. Tierney says:

I’m sorry you had such a lackluster experience at Native Foods. I used to frequent their Southern California locations when I lived there. Maybe you could get them to add some quinoa to your salad for a protein boost? They’ve always been really helpful when I ate there so I bet they’d be willing to work with you to find something you’re happy with.

8. I love a good yoga class…so I am sorry yours was only so-so!

That dinner place looks AWESome. Sorry about the lackluster salad <–booo to side salads!

9. eatingRD says:

So much fun to meet up with other bloggers! That’s so frustrating when you can’t find many things to eat and when if comes it’s not what you expected. Glad you still had a good time though!

10. totesmyoats says:

I hate going to a restaurant where you feel like there is nothing to order. It wastes money and then you have to choose something else to eat after! Total bummer.

11. elise says:

dude, native foods is the shit. sorry you arent familiar with the vegan eats, bc you could have subbed seitan in almost any recipe. they have some fabulous quinoa bowls too. and kale dishes. oh man, i love chef tanya. youll have to go back and give it another shot!

12. looks so fun! sad i missed it… hopefully we can get together soon!

13. Love free yoga! 90 minutes for free especially sounds good and I LOVE vinyasa style classes.

I can relate a bit–I don’t do well with mexican so I’ve found myself eating literally lettuce and avocado at a restaurant before. Whahhhhh.

14. Jeni says:

I am vegan and eating out can be really challenging! I have been to Native Foods quite a bit and their menu is very soy heavy. Bummer about your salad!

I live in Lakeview and love free yoga. So I really need to check out Moksha Yoga!

15. I’ve been to several vinyasa yoga classes and I’ve always entered with the same fear: impending boredom! Yet, the time truly does FLY! Even though the teacher wasn’t the most experienced, I’m glad you were able to get in a good workout for free. :-)

I DEFINITELY know what it’s like to be unable to find anything substantial to eat on a restaurant menu. This happens most often at Italian/pizza places, which are typically very short on gluten-free options. I usually roll with a salad, and then do what you did–go home and eat a second dinner! <3

16. I had so much fun meeting you Katie! I promise next time we all go out we’ll look for a restaurant that has more exciting options for you. :)

17. Cate says:

Honestly, I was a little confused with all of the strap work during the yoga class too, but overall the easy, relaxed pace of the class was nice change. It really did go by quickly for 90 minutes though!
    So glad you could join and next time we’ll go somewhere with more soy & gluten free options.