March 29, 2012 by Katie
By the time Thursday comes around, I’ve found my brain is pretty fried. So I’ve decided to start a new weekly segment called Thursday Thoughts. Last week it was labeled “Into the Depths of my Mind.” This sounds a little less frightening. Granted, with my fried brain, I’ll probably forget about this next week and do something else… We shall see!
1. I can’t stop thinking about Froyo. I haven’t had a chance to go get some since Sunday. I know, tragic, right?
2. I FINALLY tried rutabaga fries! I peeled a rutabaga with a carrot peeler (okay, I guess it’s a vegetable peeler, but I use it for carrots the most so that’s what I call it) and then chopped it up into fry-sized pieces. I tossed them in olive oil, a little salt and some garlic powder and then baked them at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. I was really surprised – they tasted like real fries! Definitely try this out.
3. I made a frittata!!! Okay, you know the name of my blog. I’m a huge fan of oatmeal and a huge fan of sweet breakfasts. The one time I even managed to try something new, it was still sweet: french toast. But I was craving eggs so I made a frittata! I cooked some sliced tomato and spinach in a skillet and then added 1 egg and 1 egg white beaten. I put it in the oven and halfway through added a bit of cheese on top. I think it baked around 10-12 minutes?
4. I have grocery store issues. Every time I go in for just a certain item, I come out with several impulse buys. Ex: I went in for pumpkin and egg whites. Came out with those items, plus rice cakes, a kombucha and 2 Chobani yogurts. Had to resist buying some Chex cereal. But the Mango Chobani was the best flavor I’ve tried so far. So totally worth it, right?!
5. Not only have I started watching Saved by the Bell on Netflix, I’ve somehow discovered Giuliana and Bill and LOVE it. She’s hilarious. Plus it’s one of those shows that I can just leave on when doing things around my apartment, and it’s fine that I’m not actually watching because they narrate everything!
6. After 20 months of living in a studio, I’m starting to crave a real house. I feel like I live in a box! I want a separate kitchen, a separate living room, an office, and a bedroom! It’s just weird to do everything in one space, so I’ve developed a need to separate out my apartment. I have one table that I do all my school work and blogging as well as eating and just “hanging out” at. I need a separate space for eating and for working. So I’ve decided to get a “desk,” but I’m trying to do so at the cheapest price possible. So far the best I’ve found is this IKEA table. Other thoughts or ideas? It’s $69.99 with shipping…
7. Everything happens for a reason. To be honest, I don’t have a lot of self-confidence. I’ve realized over the past year or so that I often think that I’m not good enough. I think a lot of people have this issue. But for me, the immediate concern is my half marathon on Sunday. I KNOW I can complete the distance, but it’s the pace that scares me. I imagined the whole race with my running buddy being there and helping and cheering me on. I found out yesterday that she has to drop out. My reaction? FREAK OUT. But you know what? I think this is the best thing that could have happened, because now I have to believe that I can do this myself, that I am good enough. I need to find that self confidence!
What are your Thursday Thoughts? Penny for your thoughts!