It’s FRIDAY!!!! I know many of you are able to really celebrate Friday with me because you don’t have to work today! I actually have never gotten Good Friday off, I went to a non-religious private school growing up and then my college and my law school didn’t take off for it either! So rude. Either way, I am very happy for those of you enjoying the long weekend!
I’ve gotten several e-mails asking about tips for new bloggers, so I thought today I would share some of those with you! First, however, I want to update you on one of my April goals, which was to participate in Janetha’s Adventurous April!
Today’s “adventure” isn’t exactly mind blowing. No skydiving, no traveling to a foreign country, not even a crazy new fashion statement. Today’s adventure was much simpler, but nevertheless took significant will power:
I didn’t have oats for breakfast. CRAZINESS. For breakfast I decided I was FINALLY going to try avocado on a piece of bread. I tend to avoid avocado since it’s high in calories (one of those “no no” foods back when I calorie counted) but it’s so good and healthy! So I made a piece of bread topped with avocado, tomato slices, a fried egg and some yogurt on the side.
Verdict? IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!! I was a huge fan of this combo and will definitely be making it again! Another bonus? Veggies already in before the day begins! I was proud I stepped out of my comfort zone, even though it was a little step!
Alright, enough about my breakfast! Time for some tips for new bloggers! It actually feels so weird to be writing this post, since I definitely still consider myself a new blogger! I started my blog on August 5th, 2011, which was actually exactly 8th months ago! I cannot believe I kept this up so long and I’m loving it more than ever! For those of you who just started or are considering starting a blog, the best things that have come from the blog are making friends with other bloggers and readers in my area, as well as the amazing support from readers! I read and reply to EVERY COMMENT because the fact that you read and enjoy what I write means so much to me!
Tips for New Bloggers
- Write for you, write about what you want, and write when you want. Okay, technically that was 3 tips, but it all boils down to the same thing. If you aren’t enjoying writing, then people aren’t going to enjoy reading. When you enjoy what you write, your excitement and personality comes through. Don’t try and be like anyone else. It may take a while, but you’ll find your own rhythm!
- Don’t focus on numbers and don’t get discouraged. If you want to write a blog, you need to decide if you would keep writing it even if you knew your mom was the only one reading. If so, keep writing! Otherwise, a lack of readers and comments will upset you much more than it should. It took me months and months to get more than 3 comments on a post. Actually, it took months to get 3 comments on a post. You have to do it for yourself, and the readers will come!
- If you want people to read your blog, reach out! No one is going to know that your blog exists unless you tell them. Every day I tweet and update my facebook status about my blog. I actually got TONS of readers through facebook, people I hadn’t talked to in years were reading! When you tweet, be sure to tweet @ people and companies when you write about them! And most importantly – comment on other blogs!!! Don’t read blogs and comment just because you think you’ll get readers, but when you’re reading a blog you love, comment! By putting your name (with your URL attached) you’ll get curious people to check out your blog! They may not all come back, but some might love it! It’s an easy opportunity to get your name out there.
- Have good, large pictures. People like to read blogs where they feel like they “know” you. By including pictures from your life, this really helps readers get a better sense of who you are.
- Have an honest and revealing About Me page. If I go to a blog with basically nothing on the about me page, I usually stop there and close the browser. If I don’t get a sense of who you are, I don’t want to keep reading!
These are just a few tips for starting a blog, if you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org! There are also several other more experienced bloggers with great tips! Two of my favorites are Peanut Butter Fingers and Carrots N Cake.
And speaking of “getting to know your blogger,” here are some adorable (yes, I’m adorable) photos my dad found on his computer!
Did everyone notice the fanny pack in the first photo? Love a good fanny pack. I had to have somewhere to carry my sunscreen and Chapstick…
Were you a fanny-pack wearer as a child?
What’s something “adventurous” you’ve done lately?