Veggies for Breakfast

April 17, 2012 by Katie

I AM ALIVE!!!! Although I attempted to start yesterday off on a good note, let’s just say it was a bit of a roller coaster. I’d go from laughing and having fun to freaking out and almost having a break down. Haha, I actually talked to a friend of mine almost all day on g-chat, and I’m pretty sure he did not enjoy the roller coaster of emotions that was occurring. Yet, he put up with it. Nice guy. Thank goodness for friends who deal with my insane days (aka all days…)

So you all know that I am a huge fan of sweet breakfasts, I mean come on, my blog is called Peace, Love & OATS. I mentioned a week or so ago that I’d been experimenting with different breakfasts and quickly ended up on a savory breakfast trend. One thing I loved about it was that I got in at least a serving of veggies first thing in the morning!

Today I thought I’d share some savory and veggie-packed breakfasts with you so you can get in some veggies too!

All of these breakfasts include an egg or egg whites for a protein. I always make sure to get protein in my breakfast! Even when I do make oats, I add protein powder or eggs. By adding protein to your breakfast it makes it harder to digest, so it keeps you fuller longer! Haha I feel like I sound like a Kashi commercial.

I also try and get some healthy fats in. For savory breakfasts this typically includes nuts or some form of nut butter. For my savory breakfasts I like to include avocado! It’s perfect for using as a spread, like on this breakfast:

photo

I made egg whites, and then covered a piece of Udi’s bread half in avocado and half in hummus, with some tomato slices on top for extra veggies!

Another day I tried to mix things up by making a breakfast burrito! This one included egg whites, avocado, hummus and salsa! It also would have been great with some black beans and cheese, but I was out!

I used a brown rice tortilla, but it was a little old so it broke apart. I ended up eating it more like a pizza. I also should have used one or two regular eggs, the egg whites were too voluminous to fit well!

As the days went on, I started to get a little more creative. I LOVE this meal and eat it at any time of the day. I microwaved a sweet potato and served an egg over the top of it. On the side I made “creamed spinach.” To do so, I cooked down spinach with a splash of almond milk and about a tsp of nutritional yeast. It’s such a good and easy side!

Finally, I was trying to use up everything left in my fridge, so I came up with this breakfast, that ended up being delicious. I mixed 1 egg with 2 liquid egg whites and a splash of almond milk and added them into the pan after cooking spinach and sliced tomato. I scrambled it up, adding some nutritional yeast during the cooking process. I also added pepper and smoked sea salt and served it alongside a Dr. Praegers broccoli patti, with ketchup!

I’ve figured out that adding a little nutritional yeast to eggs adds a lot of flavor, and nutrients! Don’t know what nutritional yeast is? I didn’t until a little while after I started reading blogs!

Again, we look to the trusty Wikipedia:

Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast which is sold commercially as a food product.

It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium and is free of sugar, dairy, and gluten. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with Vitamin B12.

Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes

I highly recommend trying out some nutritional yeast. If you have a Whole Foods near you, they sell it in the bulk aisle. I’ve also bought it online and at a Vitamin Shoppe! I’ve also read a lot of recipes using it to make a cheesy sauce, which is something I’d love to try!

So there you go, all my new savory breakfasts! Don’t worry though, I’m sure oats, yogurts and smoothies will be make a serious comeback, especially once warm weather hits!

What are your favorite savory breakfasts?

Have you ever tried nutritional yeast?

1. Awesome breakfast ideas! Thanks for sharing! I’m always looking for ways to switch it up, so this is perfect!! :)

2. that sweet potato with an egg looks amazing. note to self.

3. I love to make the fake Mac n cheese- plain Greek yogurt mixed with nutritional yeast and slathered over cooked noodles. Mmm I want now!

4. I love nutritional yeast! I haven’t had a savoury breakfast for far too long, I think my fave has to be scrambled tofu and toast!

5. I love the breakfast buritto idea. Definitely going to try and add that to my rotation on days I have a little bit extra time in the morning.

6. kaitwatts says:

Goat cheese, scrambled eggs, an spinach on a piece of toast. That’s my fave. I need start using nutritional yeast.

7. great savory breakfast ideas! i’m totally a sweet breakfast kind of person, so i often wonder if i’ll ever get in a savory breakfast phase. i love the TASTE of savory breakfasts, but would rather enjoy them for lunch or dinner (at least for now). i never tried nutritional yeast until i started reading blogs too. i love it in eggs!

8. Avocado, egg, & nutritional yeast is a trio made in heaven.

9. I love savory breakfasts. Sometimes if I start the day with sweet foods, I end up craving sweets all day.

10. Jeni says:

I love nutritional yeast! I have made a “cheese” sauce with it before and that was really good on macaroni. My favorite thing to add nutritional yeast to is scrambled tofu with some veggies! It is so good!

11. Curiously, I just bought a thing of nutritional yeast from Hy-Vee (they have an awesome health section that’s starting to gain some traction). I haven’t tried it yet, but I hear it’s great sprinkled on popcorn. I’m going to search Peas and Thank You for recipe ideas, too.

Oh, and my favorite savory breakfast is a hearty pancake or an omelet!

12. Bagels are my favorite savory breakfast but I love breakfast burritos too! I’m a lot like you though – most days I just have to have my sweet oats for breakfast!

13. Egg on a sweet potato! That is brilliant! ha I’ve never thought of that but it sure does look delicious! I’ll have to give that a try!

14. I LOVE savory breakfasts. I hardly ever have a sweet b-fast (maybe like 1 time per week) <—I am SO much more satisfied this way!!

15. I’m not generally a savory breakfast person, because I love my oats and sweet things ;) haha. But I love having eggs for lunch or dinner sometimes. I’ve never though to add nutritional yeast to them. I’m going to have to try that!

16. Molly says:

Thank you for the information on nutritional yeast…I’ve been meaning to look up the nutrition facts but I keep forgetting. I’ve heard of people sprinkling it on popcorn….Now I know what it can be used for and what It tastes like. Cheesy eh?… I’m going to go buy some to try.

17. I just recently bought nutritional yeast but am still figuring out what to sprinkle it on…I’ll have to try it on eggs for breakfast tomorrow :)

18. I always do egg whites with lots of veggies! Usually spinach, onion, mushroom, and jalapeno… and of course reduced sugar ketchup!

19. Thank you for reminding me about breakfast burritios. I used to eat them all the time but forgot about them. On the nutritional yeast topic, I use it a lot, especially in salad dressings. It gives them a nice creamy texture. I can send over some recipes if you like. I have one on my website under the recipe section, called “False Creek Dressing”. It’s great. Thanks again for the breakfast ideas!

20. FreshMutz says:

Thanks to HLBs, I’ve hopped on the nutritional yeast train. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think they taste like much, perhaps faintly like parmesan cheese. Regardless, I could always use the extra Bs.

And I’d really like to hold a bunch of giant balloons one day. How fun!

21. How do you get your egg whites so white? Mine always turn into an unappetizing (looking) brown

22. Great post! I love love LOVE SWEET breakfast and usually reserve a savory one for Sunday brunch. But hmm, I may need to change up my meals!

23. I am loving the sweet potato and egg idea… I am certainly going to be having that quite soon :) I prefer sweet breakfasts, but ones with eggs is a great way to change it up and I always enjoy the switch!

I am so wanting to try that breakfast burrito! I could definitely use a little help in working veggies into my breakfast – it’s the one meal when I almost never have them.

P.S. I thought, “Hi, Katie!” during my race this weekend :-)

25. everydayvegangirl says:

I’m more of a sweet breakfast person (oatmeal almost every day!), but a good tofu scramble and sweet potatoes can hit the spot. Love, love, LOVE nutritional yeast! I put it on everything…pasta, sautéed veggies, salads. Try blending with almonds or walnuts and it will mimic parmesan cheese that you can sprinkle on everything.

26. I am ALL about savory breakfasts! In fact, my morning feels incomplete without veggies. My typical breakfast is egg whites (or a whole egg +egg whites), sauteed spinach or zucchini with garlic, 1/2 cup pumpkin (sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia–to satisfy my sweet tooth), a laughing cow cheese wedge/sprinkling of parmesan etc and slices of avocado. I think I like this breakfast so much because I get to taste a variety of different flavors. Aka it’s fun to eat! :)

I’m loving the idea of adding nutritional yeast to eggs! Thanks for sharing; I bet it adds great flavor! And I’m a huge fan of the sweet potato + egg combo!

27. Gee your food makes me want to eat healthier lol! My favorite savory bfast is good all hardboiled egg with toast, baked fries and a side of grapes :) (I need some sweet lol)