Crafting in KC

May 13, 2012 by Katie

So remember this week’s Thursday Thought’s when I mentioned those handmade bracelets that I saw on Pinterest? Well I finally went to the craft store and started making a couple! The store nearest me was a little limited on supplies, so I was a bit disappointed in what I could find. I definitely want to go to another craft store further out to find some more chains and maybe rope, but I wanted to show you all what I came up with!

My inspiration for this bracelet came straight from the pin:

image

I couldn’t find a gold chain that thick, so I ended up doubling up the gold chain that ?I did find, to make it look a little better.

After excessive googling, I found how to make the bracelet part (which was embarrassing since I knew I’d made a million just like this when I was younger…) and then I got started!

I actually did this part sitting outside on our front porch since it was so nice out! Looking up into the trees:

photo

When I got inside I started working on the metal part. I connected the chains to the turquoise bracelet I made, which was easy since the links opened up pretty easily with the pliers.

TADA! Here it is!

photo 5

So not exactly like the photo… but a good first attempt. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some better/thicker chains at another store and perfect my bracelet-making in the next few days! I want to make a few in several colors, so I can wear them either together, or with different outfits. I thought about doing the friendship bracelet one as well, but I feel like those might be too casual for wearing to my internship this summer.

Now I just have to find some cute clothes that are work-appropriate! Ahhhhh. Good thing I have some time to work on it!

While I was out, I also discovered a new health food store in KC! I just stopped in to look around, and ended up being OVERWHELMED by the amazingness and just walking around for way too long! Don’t worry, I made some purchases too. If you live in KC you should check out Natural Grocers at 91st and Metcalf!

One thing I love? You have to bring your own bag! It’s got a lot of what whole foods has, but much cheaper. They have a hug bulk section:

And part of it is refrigerated!

They also have a huge section for health and beauty and natural supplements:photo 2 (3)

And more Kombucha than Whole Foods! Plus a great grab-n-go section!

I was very impressed!

A little after the grocery store my day got EVEN better (can you imagine?) when I got to get frozen yogurt with my friend Helen!!! It was so nice to catch up with her!

(sorry Helen, should have noticed your eyes were closed… haha should have guessed!)

Have you ever made something off of pinterest?

Do you like to make your own jewelry?

Any cool health food stores near you?

1. Marty R. says:

What a great day Katie. Glad you are relaxing. I remember you loved to make jewelry as a teen and we went to a craft store on Newbury Street to get some things. I still have those pretty earrings you made for me. Thanks!!

2. Such a cute bracelet! Unfortunately, I get impatient making those “complicated” friendship bracelets – I mostly just made the simple braided ones as a kid :) And we don’t have a Whole Foods or anything near where I live – it sucks!

3. I always pin things but never get round to making them! That bracelet looks fab! I think I would have spent a fortune in that store, wish we could get kombucha like that here!

4. Awesome bracelet, way to go. I keep saying I will make something off of pinterest but never do. I will one day! That grocery store seems amazing!

5. Sweetly Fit says:

Good job on the jewelry! That is something I would love to get started on myself. And thanks for the heads up on the grocery store! I’ve seen that place but have never been in. It looks amazing!

6. That bracelet is adorable! I love doing pinterest crafts!

7. OH my gosh that looks like Kombucha heaven!! And cute bracelet can’t wait til I finally have the time for some Pinterest crafts!

8. Tracy Koeppen says:

So, I haven’t seen this new Natural Grocers store. Isn’t that right by Whole Foods? Interesting location selection. I’ll definitely check it out!

9. I like your bracelet! I think I’ve made one thing from Pinterest. I should really get on that.

10. factsandflax says:

There’s an awesome health store near my college called The Green Earth. It’s just a little store with a bunch of organic foods and beauty products, and it has a delicious cafe!

11. Oh that’s really cool!!! That bracelet is so pretty!

12. Meg says:

well now I just want to do crafts! that bracelet is pretty!
    i had some froyo like that myself tonight. I always ruin mine with cookie dough. haha

13. LOVE the bracelet! And honestly, I think your version looks just as good as the one you pinned. I’m completely impressed, and also wondering if you might be willing to make a few extra to send my way? ;) I’m only half joking…I seriously might pay you for one of those!

I’ve heard GREAT things about Natural Grocers! One actually just opened up in Boise, Idaho, which is where my parents live (and where I’ll be interning at the YMCA this summer), so I’m excited to check it out. Holy moly they offer a lot of kombucha! I’m going to have to practice some major self restraint. ;)

Hope you had a great weekend, Katie! xoxo

• Haha that reminds me of when I used to sell earrings that I made in 9th grade! I’d definitely be willing to make you a couple, send me an e-mail if you’re interested. Lol and I promise I wouldn’t charge much over postage. And I didn’t realize it’s a chain, that’s great! You should definitely check it out!

14. Miz says:

OOOH I COVET THE BRACELET—and lack the crafting gene.

15. You did a really great job on making that bracelet! impressive!

I am checking out that store next time I visit KC!