July 1, 2012 by Katie
Hey everyone! I hope you’re all having a great weekend! I’m doing alright so far, yesterday I had my 9 mile long run and I felt so great afterwards! I miss those long runs, I need to keep them up even after training! Plus, the cold water bath afterwards is soooo much easier to handle in the summer:
Can you believe today is July 1st?!!? So crazy. Haha I feel like you’ve read that sentence on about 10 blogs today. At least. Anyway, since it’s the beginning of July I thought it would be the perfect time to recap June’s goals, and go on to July’s!
If you’re new to my blog, every month I set a few goals to try and reach that month. It’s usually pretty simple and small changes to my daily life, just to get myself to try new things or constantly try to be a better person!
June Goal Recap
1. Bring lunch 4 days a week to work. I have to give myself a pat on the back for this one. I did this every week of June, EXCEPT this past week. And that was not my fault. I had to buy lunch 3 days last week because on Tuesday I was supposed to get lunch with my mentor but she cancelled 5 minutes beforehand… so I had to go buy lunch and we re-scheduled for Wednesday. Guess what happened Wednesday? Yep. Cancelled. Had to go buy lunch. Then on Friday the interns all go to lunch together, so I bought lunch Friday too! Although it was frustrating to spend so much money, my mentor felt awful about it! She was pretty busy this week. But all in all I did good with this goal and I’m very happy about it! Most people in my office buy their lunch every day! Granted, they are getting paid…
2. GO TO SPINNING. I think we all know the answer to this one… never made it to spinning.
3. Be better about calling people. This one I actually did! Although not amazing, I did call everyone I wanted to call, unfortunately I didn’t get ahold of some people and they never called me back and I never tried again… So I’m going to keep this one up as best I can. And yes. there’s a fantastic story behind this photo… New Orleans 2008. Best 48 hours ever.
4. Don’t let strength training fall to the wayside. BOOYAH! Definitely keeping up strength training! I’m not doing it as much or as intensely as I was before, but I’ve been doing at least 1 upper body day and 1 leg day every week, and then usually I’ll do 2 circuits a week involving strength moves with smaller weights or using body weight! So far it’s been working out pretty well! Marathon, here I come!!!
I think I did alright with my goals! Gonna be honest, totally not surprised I didn’t go to spinning. I keep thinking of going to the Tuesday or Thursday 5:45 class, but it doesn’t end until 6:45 and I usually have to leave the gym at 6:30. Those 15 min are pushing it. Buuuuut I could just make some overnight oats. Ahhh. I just need to put it on my schedule.
Anyway, no need to dwell on the past, time for my July Goals!
1) Be more social. I’ll be honest. I don’t have a ton of friends in Chicago. Sure, I have several people I could call up or text to get together for things, like brunch, froyo, or the farmers market. However, I don’t have any close friends here. Granted, I may move in a year, but nevertheless I’ve realized I need to put a little more effort into be social. I think it’s become blatantly apparent since summer started and I don’t have to spend my weekends studying.
2) HAVE FUN at the Chicago Rock N Roll Half Marathon! I’m already nervous about this race. The longest run on our schedule before the half is 10 miles, next week. I think this is insane. I ran 12 and 13 several times before my last half. Granted, I got burnt out and injured, but still. Only 10? Ahhhh. So my goal is to calm down, trust the training plan that experts have come up with and used for their programs with hundreds off runners and just go with it. Giving up control.
3) READ MORE BOOKS! I’ve gotten pretty side-tracked on book reading lately. I think it’s because the book I’ve been reading (and finished yesterday!) was large (aka harder to carry) and the end was pretty slow to get through. But I’m done with that and hope to finish at least 3 books this month! Who’s with me!?
4) Be better about keeping my apartment clean. Seriously. You should see it. It’s like I clean it one weekend, and by the end of the week it’s an awful mess. And then I’m annoyed so I don’t clean that weekend. So then we’re at 2 weeks, horrible mess. This cycle needs to end. I need to clean up each mess I make RIGHT AFTER I make it. Okay, super lame goal, but seriously, if you were looking around my apartment right now, you’d be thinking the same thing.
So there are my goals for July! Not too tough this month, but it’s summer and I want to enjoy it!
What are some of the goals that you’re working on for yourself right now?
Anyone else ever run a half marathon after only 10 miles and do well?!