American Wife

July 6, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone! Happy Friday!

I hope you’ve all had a great week, and I’m sure those of you who had the rest of the week off certainly did! Weeks like this definitely make it harder for me to do anything at work, I feel like I should be on vacation! Hopefully next week I’ll be back into things.

I hit up the farmers market again yesterday, but this time on my way to work since the high was 103! It’s about 6 blocks away from my office, so I knew I wouldn’t want to be walking there and back in that heat!

I also had a very weird, but delicious breakfast! Steamed eggplant and squash with marinara sauce and nutritional yeast, topped with over easy eggs! It was definitely out of character, but so what I was craving!

Earlier on this week, I finally finished a book I’ve been working on for a while, American Wife!

American Wife is a story of a woman who is married to the President of the United States, and looks back over her life and how she got to where she is today, a place she never imagined being.

Alice Blackwell was born in the 1940s in small town Wisconsin, and grew up to be a humble and simple librarian at an elementary school. Although she had always been quiet and bookish, a shocking event in her last year of high school changed her, as well as haunted her throughout her life.

Alice eventually meets Charlie Blackwell, the man she soon marries despite his being very different from her, in both his outgoing and loud personality, as well as his upbringing in a very rich and well-known family. Alice is quickly thrust into a world that was very new to her and had to learn how to manage a marriage of two very different people.

One thing I didn’t realize about the book until I started reading is that it’s loosely based on the life of Laura Bush. The giveaways were various descriptions of George W. Bush’s presidency, including 9/11, that made it very clear.

I really enjoyed most of the novel, although I have to say I didn’t like the last section as much, where Alice is reminiscing on her time as the First Lady. The story of her growing up, as well as all the people who are in her life kept me very interesting; there rarely seemed to be a dull moment! However, I felt the last part was more reflective and I found myself skimming pages, just ready to finish the book and find out how the story concludes.

I do recommend the book, I enjoyed it quite a bit! It kept me very interested until the end, and perhaps that was just my impatience because I know Julie enjoyed the last part the most!

If you’re interested in seeing other books I’ve been reading, check out my goodreads page!

What’s the last book you read?

Did you have a long weekend because of the holiday?

1. Hm… The last book I read was a cookbook, and then the one before that was Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins.

I did not have a long weekend because of the holidays. But oh how I wish I did! I was back to work the next day like you, babysitting.

2. Laura says:

What a crazy, yet inticing, breakfast!! I might have to do that one for lunch. lol.

I just finished 50 Shades of Grey and am now reading 50 Shades Darker.

Sadly, I did not have a long weekend due to the holiday. That’s ok though. I should be home early today to hit up the pool or go biking with my baby girl and we have no plans this weekend:-) I see a Farmer’s market in our future.

3. I wasn’t sure I wanted to add this to my list, but I like your description so I’m in :) I’ve been reading Jeffrey Eugenides lately — Virgin Suicides and Middlesex, and now I’m moving on to The Marriage Plot

I’ve seen a few of my friends reading that book – I’ll have to try it! Right now I’m reading the Night Circus and I love it!

5. That sounds like a good read! Right now I’m working on Nights in Rodanthe!

6. best farmer’s market loot ever!!!

7. I loved American Wife! I knew it was based on Laura Bush and that was part of the appeal for me actually. I’m reading Silver Girl right now and I’m enjoying it – it’s a nice beach read! No long weekend for me, but I’m headed to the beach in Maine for the weekend!

8. I’m about halfway through the novel Little Bee right now, and it’s very good. Reminds me a little bit of The Help the way it’s told (through two very different perspectives). I love novels like this!

9. Tracy Koeppen says:

I really liked that book…more than I thought I would. I’d love to follow you on Goodreads. What is your Goodreads name?

10. I liked the book too-but the ending was quite…interesting and sorta boring. It didn’t ‘really’ have an end. Which is sad to me ;)

I actually think those eggs with nutr yeast sound/look awesome! YUMM!

11. Our Farmer’s Market starts tomorrow! I can’t wait! :)

12. I can’t remember the last book that I read…which is a bad sign! I have a massive pile/list of books waiting to be read though! I think Anna Karenina is my next read.

Happy Friday!

13. hannah says:

Your breakfast looks devine, I have to admit I’m rather jealous!!! Also, YAY for farmers markets, they’re the best :)

14. commitcomplete says:

I put fried eggs on top of everything…so good! I’m looking forward to reading the new Jennifer Weiner book that is coming out this week.

15. I really need to start reading more than cookbooks. That was my aim for this year, to read more, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet. I WILL make time though!

16. Cate says:

I read American Wife a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. It was all pretty interesting. I love Curtis Sittenfeld’s first book Prep though -very good!
    I just finished Jodi Picoult’s Handle with Care, she always writes interesting and thought provoking stories.

17. Maggie says:

I read American Wife a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it! I didn’t like the first Curtis Sittenfeld book I read (Prep – I really hated the overall story as well as the main character). But I wanted to read American Wife because it was loosely based on Laura Bush’s life and even though politically I am the opposite of the Bushes, I was oddly interested in learning more about her “life,” or at least, her (fictional) perspective. I agree, I thought the book leading up to his presidency was much more interesting.

• I read prep before I went to college, and I thought it was good, although at that point I think I was so ready for college I would have thought anything about it was good! Haha.

I haven’t read American Wife but it looks really good! I’ll have to add it to my list.
    I’m currently reading 50 Shades of Grey (like so many other people!) It’s definitely VERY different than anything I’ve read before, but I’m enjoying it!

19. Haha eggplant for breakfast is a great idea!! Unique but I Think I’d like it ;)

20. I wish I had a long weekend! But it’s the weekend now, so that’s okay. We are all on the same page. And I eat squash for breakfast on a regular basis — so yay!

21. danielleimp says:

So happy I found your page! I was just trying to decide on a good book to start reading on my Nook. :) It’s always nice to hear from another advid book reader !

22. Candice says:

The last book I read.. 50 shades of grey…wow.. kind of didn’t finish it either. not loving the context, story line of it..
    Ill have to pick up that one!

23. Strayed was awesome last one I read that I liked. I liked American Wife a lot read it a couple of times now :) I’m currently reading A Complaint Free world and loving it. I also have to read my Integrative nutrition textbook soon so plenty to read! That’s what summer is for though right?

24. Emma says:

Last book I read – 50 shades of Gray. I’m ashamed. But right now I’m reading a John Grisham book

No long weekend but I did get Wednesday off.

Those berries look great! I got some too at the farmers market near me and they are infinitely better than the ones in the store!