WIAW–Long Run Day

July 11, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone! I hope you are all having a great week!

Today’s What I Ate Wednesday Post is pretty long, so let’s get straight to it!

If you’re new to WIAW, head over to Peas and Crayons and learn what it’s all about and see all the other bloggers who are participating!

Peas and Crayons

Today’s WIAW comes from Saturday, the day of my 10 mile long run! My official group run with CARA had been cancelled due to “excessive heat” (it was 82 when I got up at 4:45) so I decided to do it myself and try and get out there a little earlier!

Since I wanted to be out the door ASAP, I got up and headed straight to the coffee machine! It was coffee and water for me, and then half a banana with PB for some fuel.

Banana in a Christmas mug:

Coffee in a normal mug:

And water in a KD tumbler!

When I got back from my run I wasn’t hungry (pretty dehydrated) but I knew I had to eat something so I made an over easy egg and a sweet potato and managed to eat almost all of it. And yes, this is an old picture… Ignore the green stuff.

After breakfast, I headed down to the farmers market in an attempt to beat the heat! Unfortunately, it was already 98 degrees… Oh well.

I did get some zucchini and yellow squash, and of course some more berries! Soooo delicious!

On the walk home I was dying of thirst and had already finished the water bottle I brought with me. I decided to stop into starbucks for some cool air and an iced green tea! My friend taught me a trick: order it without water! That way it’s all green tea (they normally add water to dilute it) and the ice melting doesn’t make it super watery!

When I got home, I snacked on a few of the berries before heading to lunch with my brother. We went to a Mexican restaurant (his favorite) and I got the Bare-it-all-rrito! It’s basically a burrito but without the flour tortilla. I also ordered a side of avocado to add to it for some healthy fats! Very delicious.

After lunch I was feeling pretty exhausted from all the heat and walking around, so I headed home and rested up before a blogger meet up! I had some more berries to snack on before the meet up:

I started up a Chicago Bloggers Facebook Group (please join if you’re a Chicago-area blogger!) and set up a quick meet-up at Forever Yogurt! There were four of us there: myself (duh), Lindsay from Running the Windy City, Molly from Heart, Sole and Cereal, and Elyssa at Sweet Tooth Runner!

dsc03969

Photo Courtesy of Lindsay!

I got strawberry banana and cherry, with plenty of berries on top, some mochi (I think?) a few mini reeses pieces and two mini PB cups! Haha love those. Delicious as always!

Forever Yogurt is right next to a Whole Foods, so I headed up there to do little grocery shopping and grabbed some food from the hot bar for dinner! So good, and it was under $10! Haha I was shocked because I felt like I got a ton of heavy veggies since they’d all been roasted! Some chicken and beans in there too for protein, and a few chips for good measure.

After dinner I had some more ice cream… Haha it was a HOT day! And my post-run hunger was setting in, no more nausea like earlier in the morning! I’m also trying to eat less sugar, so I had my Artic Zero (which really isn’t ice cream… haha it’s like protein ice cream) with some raspberries and PB2. Normally I get a few candies, like chocolate covered nuts, from Whole Foods to top my ice cream with, but the sugar is just too much so I’m cutting back!

Here’s where things get… interesting. A little bit later I was CRAVING some PB and berries. I should have had some tea or just gone on a walk (I was definitely full) but I ate the PB and berries anyway. Bad idea. Delicious. But bad idea. I also ended up eating a big handful of roasted peanuts that I’d gotten at Whole Foods earlier with chocolate PB2…

I considered just not mentioning it, but I’m trying to be honest about the emotional/binge eating that I mentioned before! Although this tasted great, I felt AWFUL afterwards. I think being more honest about instances like this is going to help me avoid them in the future. I know sugary things are a big trigger for me, so maybe just no “ice cream” for a while? Maybe the froyo set me off for the rest of the day… Sigh. I love froyo.

I also think a lack of breakfast didn’t help, my body was probably starving for more calories! One of my big goals for the next few weeks is to eat a breakfast with more healthy fats and add a morning snack in. I’m always starving by the time I eat lunch, which is never a good thing! Good thing I’ve got great support from some of my friends! (and of course all of you!).

Do you have a hard time being honest about certain things?

What’s your favorite froyo/ice cream flavor? (mine’s strawberry)

Do you have random mugs and cups in your house?

1. What a great idea to organize blogger meet-ups. I wish I lived closer to other food bloggers but I think they are still pretty scarce in Austria. I found a couple of really cool blogs and “met” nice people through WIAW but meeting other bloggers in person sounds like so much fun.

2. Megan says:

I always tell myself that I should have had tea after and emotional binge. What I do to recover is wake up the next day and have my normal breakfast and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. You will feel better soon! It happens to everyone and you are doing great!

3. I’m glad you shared that! I love your blog for its honesty, and that’s what the HLB community is all about! Sharing struggles and successes, and that’s why I keep coming back to your blog :)

4. Oh my god, my cabinet is filled with random mugs! So funny.

I definitely have struggled with the emotional eating/bored eating thing. Good for you for being honest and sharing with the community. I know I am not completely 100% honest all the time about how I feel about food and my issues. I think we all struggle a bit with the balance.

In terms of breakfasts, I find that my breakfasts always last the longest when I add healthy fats like nut butter. Otherwise, I burn through it so fast that I’m hungry 2 hours later.

• I agree, I’ve definitely been working in eating more healthy fats, they do great things! And it’s hard to be honest, especially since I know my family reads this, but I always feel better when I am!

5. Sarah says:

Ok, honestly– you sound ridiculous!!! You are such a healthy person and ran ten freaking miles….if “bingeing” is eating healthy pb and berries?!! after you ran 10 miles…then I think we are all in trouble. I think the blog world creates an unrealistic picture about how people should be eating- specially young active girls. You have to fix the way you think before you can fix your eating habits. Give yourself a break- you’re active and healthy!

• I agree that berries and PB is a healthy snack. However, she did state that she was already full before she ate her snack and she didn’t disclose how much PB she ate. Have you ever eaten a few spoonfuls of PB when you’re already full? You end up feeling ridiculously gross. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Katie saying that, especially since she said she would rather be more conscious about eating more calories earlier in the day so she doesn’t feel like she needs to eat a big snack at night.

• Thanks, Sarah! I realize the calories won’t hurt me in the long run but it’s the fact that I just keep eating and eating until I feel sick! It’s an emotional thing that I’ve been dealing with for several months now. It’s the mental, not so much physical.

6. I’m jealous of all your froyo! I don’t have one nearby :( Love your honesty too!

7. Ashley says:

so many delicious eats my friend! those berries and cherries look SO good! and you are awesome for being so honest. baby steps! love you girl!

8. I find eating more before a long run can help with beating the extreme running hunger later. I think it also helps stabilize blood sugar and can help with cravings (especially sugar cravings).

I love burrito-less burritos (a la Chipotle). They’re one of my favorite things to order out!

9. Lissa says:

Katie,

I love reading your blog daily. You remind me a lot Of myself. I don’t have a HLB but I am fond if the HLB community!! I am a huge runner and I just recently finished my first marathon in May! I have struggled with extreme disordered eating for the last 8 years. I just binged last night and I felt terrible about it. I know it can be a very low and shameful feeling. I am proud of you for being so open and honest about it. The biggest thing I have learned is that SO MANY people struggle with food issues and emotional eating. I also know that running 10 miles is quite an accomplishment. It makes you very hungry because your body is doing so much and using so much to perform. During my marathon training I struggled with the idea of eating “too much” but many runner friends made me realize my body needed the extra fuel during that time. I felt soo hungry in the later part of my long run days. I know it is very hard to eat right after a run, but keep making yourself as you train. It definitely helps keep you from wanting to eat the entire house the night after the run!! :) I did gain some weight during my training, but I like to think it was muscle. Also, remember that the number Of calories, the size of clothes, and the number on the scale don’t define you as an athlete. I eventually quit counting calories and got rid if the scale. I strictly focused on my runs and how strong I felt from accomplishing such a large goal. I ended up finishing my full in just under four hours!! So what I am trying to say is pick your battles and don’t worry too much about eating a little more or being a little extra hungry while training for a full!!! :):) You are doing something most people only dream of!! Hang in there girl and always remember you aren’t alone. If you ever need a runner to talk to who has struggled with similar stuff just email me. Terlau.2@buckeyemail.osu.edu!! Good luck with your runs this week!!

• Thank you SO MUCH Lissa!!! I appreciate the encouragement, it’s great to hear from people who have gone through similar things. And congrats on finishing your first marathon!!!

10. YUMMY eats!!

And girl, we all ‘slip up once in awhile and overeat. The issue really comes down to WHY you’re doing it, and getting to the root of that. It is highly likely that you might not have eaten enough before and after the run and/or did not get enough protein. I would check those things out. Plus, after dinner, writing down what’s awesome about YOU always helps too :)

You’re amazing! And that FRO yo looks SOOOO good!

11. I had no idea Starbucks diluted their green tea with water! Good to know!

12. My favourite froyo flavour is pomegranate! Only stock it and one place I have been to but it is so good! Especially topped with fresh berries and pomegranate :)

13. I have a REALLY hard time in being honest with things. I’m always worried about how people will react.

I currently can only eat banana “ice cream”… so BANANA :)

Lots of random mugs. We have one that is the “Periodic Table of Texting.” Lol. We bought it for my dad so that he could understand our messages to him.

14. clare says:

haha if a few berries and peanut butter is a binge, you would be absolutely horrified by the emotional binge i’m coming off of

15. Emma says:

Sometimes it’s hard for me to be honest when I’m scared what the other person might think of me, or when I don’t want to hurt someones feelings (even when they ask me for my honest opinion)

my favorite froyo/ice cream flavor is… whatever I feel like at the time! I like to try the strangest flavor at the store, whatever it is.

Love that Christmas mug!! Since it was so hot lately I found myself thinking about how long it would be until Christmas :-)

And I think you should move back to good ol’ Missouri and start a facebook blogger group here – I will come to all the events!

17. i love the tart froyo. And I am so jealous of that whole foods meal. I have never had it and the blog world seems to love it!

Okay, first of all, the burrito salad you had for lunch looks amazing! And ordering tea from starbucks without the water is absolutely brilliant. I’ve always wondered why it tastes kind of watery, even before the ice melts. Thanks for the tip!
    Second, we’ve ALL been there with eating more than we should (especially at night). But, I’m glad that you’re not dwelling on it! I always try to remind myself that my body is smart- if I’m really craving something, it’s probably because my body needs it! After your long day, you may have just needed more nutrients. You never know. (:

19. alexrobort says:

i give my heart on mixture of strawberry, banana and grapes. It is so delicious.

20. I am an emotional eater too definitely stemming from my ed background. i hate the habit and i hate eating good foods but in bad amounts that make me hate/fear the food. just know you are not alone!