WIAW–Run and Spin!

July 18, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone, Happy Wednesday! Halfway through the week – woooo!!!!

First of all – please go check out my guest post today on Perfection Isn’t Happy! I hope Emily is having a great time on her honeymoon!

Haha I am excited for the week to be over, but nervous about the weekend since the half marathon is coming up! But enough of that, time to move on to this week’s What I Ate Wednesday! If you’re new to WIAW, head over to Peas and Crayons to find out what it’s all about!

Peas and Crayons

Today’s eats are from last Thursday! Haha I managed to remember to take photos of everything, so I decided to use it! I had hoped to sleep in after my Chobani dinner the night before, but no such luck. My eyes popped open at 4:57am. I tried to fall back asleep but by about 5:15am I knew it wasn’t happening, plus I had the urge to run!

I headed out on a quick 3 miler, and I was so glad I did! It was beautiful that morning!

Stretching is soooooo much better when you can stare up at that rather than the gym’s ceiling!

For breakfast I tried out a new recipe: Chia Seed Pudding! More to come on that in a future post…

I’ve started adding in a mid-morning snack, which has been AMAZING! I usually just get really hungry around 10:30, ignore it and try and hold off until noon… Bad plan. Adding in the mid-morning snack! Today’s was Fage greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds, stevia and blueberries mixed in!

I’m pretty sure my office buddy thinks I eat way too much… He’s the type that has coffee for breakfast and eats lunch around 2…

Lunch was something I threw together pretty quickly: a Mexican bowl! It had 3/4 cup black beans, 1/2 an avocado, and then steamed squash, peppers and mushrooms. And I think eggplant… I topped it with salsa and a little cumin! photo 3 (3)

Afternoon snack included the MOST DELICIOUS fuji apple ever! From trader joe’s! Seriously, it was perfection – crisp and juicy.

Paired with a baggie of almonds and walnuts!

That evening I had planned to meet up with Sienna (HI SIENNA!!!!) to go to spin class! Since class was at 6:45, I decided to head over to the Protein Bar (only a block from the spin studio) and get a protein shake for dinner #1! It had banana, strawberries, almond milk and protein powder. Very good!

I sipped on my smoothie, read a book and then soon it was time to go to spin! I was super nervous (especially when I headed down the stairs and music was blasting…) but I felt so much better after meeting up with Sienna!

So, many of you may know that I’ve been planning to try spinning again (I probably last went about a year ago and wasn’t a huge fan) and I’m glad I finally gave it another chance. However…  I don’t think it will be getting any more chances with me. The class actually flew by! (despite my frustration with the moving bike and the lack of explanation from the teacher). But the real issue was my poor knees!

I would totally go back again and keep trying it, but the next morning when I got up it was really hard to walk – my knees were so stiff and in a lot of pain! I’ve always seemed to have knee issues with riding a bike, but it never bothered me too much since I didn’t ride really quickly. But this just hurt too badly!

Luckily, however, I LOVED meeting Sienna! She’s a reader who e-mailed me and offered to go to spin with me! I had bought a Groupon to Real Ryder, so we met up there for a class!

(Yes, I look like an awkward dork in this photo. being real…) I had a blast talking with her on the bus ride back up north and hope we can hang out again! I love talking to people who also read healthy living blogs, haha, they just get it! Thanks for joining me Sienna!

When I got home I actually wasn’t super hungry like I thought I’d be (it was around 8:20 by then). I heated up some leftover Trader Joe’s Indian style eggplant (I lost the box… cannot remember what it’s actually called) and served it over some steamed Kale and squash.

Then I had some frozen strawberries in flax milk with a little vanilla stevia, and by that point I was exhausted and just fell into bed!

(frozen berries in milk is my new obsession…).

It was a LONG but fun day!

Where’s your favorite place to stretch?

Current food obsessions?

Anyone else have knee issues when biking?

1. jessie says:

What a beautiful picture on the morning of your run, and a great view to just relax while stretching.

I love stretching in a sauna.. not sure why, but its just so relaxing to me. My current obsession is smoothies, and fruit bowls with whip cream :)

2. Kelly says:

i love stretching in my living room right in front of the tv (after a gym sesh). also obsessed with frozen berries + almond milk! try throwing in some flax seed, and it’s delish. my current food obsession though is http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2011/02/garlicky-kale/

you need to give it a try!

3. Sorry about spinning and your knees :( Biking hurts my knees too. That’s a beautiful sunrise picture!

4. I used to have frozen berries in milk all the time I might have to bring that one back! Shame that spinning didn’t work for you but sometimes that’s just the way it goes, at least you aren’t forcing yourself. Yey for Chia seed pud too!

5. What’s great picture. I love stretching outside in the sun. Nothing’s better. That stinks your knees her when you bike. Did you check your form? I know that my knees hurt if I bike with my toes pointing down instead of having a flat foot pressing down with my heel. My current food obsession would have to be protein ice cream topped with fresh fruit. It is so great after a hot workout.

6. that lunch looks freaking amazing. I still need to try this soaking chia seeds thing. It just looks so good. I am a huge fan of frozen berries, you can do so much with them. I love putting nunaturals on them with a little cinnamon.

7. Sometimes my knees hurt after spin too, especially if I’ve been running a lot.

8. The chia seed pudding looks AMAAAZING! And I can completely relate to that feeling of not being able to sleep. Glad you were able to get a good run in…and good luck on your Half this weekend! So exciting!!! :)

9. oh my gosh, i love fruit in milk! i have that for dessert all the time. such a good sweet treat, but i’ve never tried it with frozen berries. must do that immediately. also, i know what you mean about people thinking you eat a lot! i know my friends think i eat so much because i eat every few hours, but i honestly cannot imagine having coffee in the morning and then not eating anything until 2. i’d be super crabby!

10. I’m obsessed with my zucchini bread right now!

11. kaitwatts says:

Sometimes biking can hurt my knee. That is when getting a bike fit at a shop will help. It usually means that something is off in your positioning. Lately I am loving the yogurt and fruit snack too.

12. I am obsessed with zucchini lately — I have so many recipes I want to try!

13. Ashley says:

i have yet to try that chia pudding! i’m sorry spinning hurt your knees. that’s a bummer! it’s interesting since cycling is so low impact, but at least now you know.

14. I’m sorry your knees hurt, bummer. Mine will bother me if I’m riding a bike that is too small for me but otherwise I’m fine.

I can’t wait to hear about that chia pudding. It looks good :)

15. My current food obsession is quinoa and hummus. DON’T knock it til you try it. This amazing mixture tastes sort of like mac & cheese, but better. And I like to put steamed broccoli (or other veggies) in there. Definitely pheNOM. TRY IT.

16. I’m sorry about your knees! Lame. But maybe you might need some help adjusting your bike? If the seat was too tall, or you were sitting too far forward, that would put unnecessary pressure on your knee joints-just a thought.

LOVE eating berries with yogurt and stevia!! YUMM.

• It’s probably my form, but I feel like I’m forcing myself to love a class just because other people love it. Maybe one day it will be my thing! Haha I used to HATE running, now I can’t imagine not running!

I really want to try Protein Bar!! I haven’t had a chance yet or the $$. When I was injured post-marathon one time biking was the only thing that didn’t hurt my knee! You should ask the instructor because they are really helpful with seat position ideas.

18. I had a Fuji apple yesterday at lunch for the first time in ages…oh my. I died. It was heavenly. If fall had a flavor, it would be Fuji apple, as far as I’m concerned.

I had never heard of Protein Bar but it definitely looks like someplace worth checking out the next time I’m downtown! I looked at their menu online, and man. Some of those smoothies sound heavenly!

• I know, I hadn’t had a fuji in a while and it was amazing! You really should, they have a bunch of new locations now, all of them are either in or barely outside of the loop. As I mentioned to someone above, the quinoa chili bowls in the winter are seriously the best thing ever!

19. sharklegs says:

biking has never hurt my knees, but i’ve never taken a spinning class (though i would love to!). sometimes i’ll feel like i have a bubble in one knee as i’m riding though, kind of like it needs to crack… or pop. you know, like cracking your knuckles. that is a pretty painful annoying feeling now that i think about it.
    i love to stretch in my living room, it has the most room out of anywhere in my apartment. but as soon as i put my yoga mat down, my dog thinks its an invitation lol. always have to pick him up and set him on the couch!

20. Kammie says:

Picture like yours from the morning makes me love life even more, it makes it so beautiful <3 Lovely image. Awesome eats too. I want to try Protein Bar very much too, I've heard great things about it and the concept is great. I think it's pretty pricy though :/

21. That morning running looks amazing! And frozen berries in milk is something I am going to have to try now :)

22. Laura says:

My current food obsession is beets!! Yummy! Especially made into a roasted beet and yogurt salad!

I tried spin today for the first time in about a year! SO fun. I’ve been biking though and I’ve noticed I have bruises on both of the insides of my knees! They are bowed and I hit the bar. I hit the resistance knob a ton in class today too. Weird!

• sharklegs says:

i just got beets for the first time at the farmers market last week too, so i’ve been doing a lot of stuff with them! i had a beet and orange quinoa flake bake, beet and lentil burgers, and scarlet barley. i wasnt sure if i liked beets, but i think i do!

• I’m glad you loved spin! And I Loooooooove beets! So good on salads!

I used to have frozen berries and milk alllll the time when I was growing up! I completely forgot about it. I can’t wait to have some now!
    My current food obsession is cereal. I always go through phases with it and I’ve found that I usually get addicted during the summer! It’s just so refreshing and light, plus it’s quick and easy to throw together!
    I’m sorry to hear that spin bothered your knees! Hopefully it won’t happen again and the pain won’t last!

24. What a pretty picture during your morning run! I know that kind of view would help to get me moving :) I am sorry to hear that spinning is bothering your knees! Maybe the bike needs to be adjusted a bit.. like the height and where the seat is? I could be completely wrong, but it might be worth getting fit to the bike again :)

• I think I’m going to leave trying spin again for another time in my life, I feel like I’m being forced to love it because everyone else does, but it’s just not my thing! And it was a gorgeous view! I love the mornings! p.s. SOOOOO excited for HLS now!!!!

25. I’ve always wanted to try spinning! I have a feeling my little knees wouldn’t be to fond of it either :)
    I just found your blog and I love it!

26. Emma says:

Hmmmmm I have some frozen strawberries and some almond milk that needs to be used up, maybe I’ll try the berries and milk! Sounds like a great snack!

27. I have knee issues too! I tore my meniscus last fall and had surgery in December. I tried spinning in the spring (thinking it would be better for my body and more fun than running) but after just one session I was all achey and stiff :( The next few times I went I took it easy–no standing and a little lower resistance. This helped a LOT and I still felt I got a pretty great workout in.
    ps. your mexican bowl looks AMAZING!

28. Good luck with the run this weekend :)

29. Sienna says:

Hi Katie!! Thanks for the shout out! I’m sorry to hear your knees hurt so much after the spinning class. Thankfully mine didn’t bother me (they have been acting up lately after I do lots of squats and lunges so I don’t need anything else to bother them!). It’s funny because every time you talk about Protein Bar I want to try it out. I wish there was one up in Lakeview. Too bad I didn’t know it was so close to the class. I had a great time chatting with you too and would love to meet up again. I’ll be sure to let you know if I hear about any fun healthy living activities in Chicago.

30. I have been on a frozen berry and banana kick lately. Plus unsalted green beans. Idk why, but they are just so good!

My brother is like that too. He thinks I snack a lot. All of my meals and snacks are super small though! Like a banana, or a handful of rice puff cereal. Not that substantial, and I’m hungry an hour later!

31. kitchenkm says:

Berries and milk looks delish! Must try! :)