WIAW–2 Weeks Left of Work!

August 1, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone! Happy Hump Day! Aaaahahaha okay, I’ve been avoiding using that phrase for months and I’m never going to use it again. Who came up with that? I get the concept but couldn’t we use another word? Here are some synonyms:

bulge, bump, convexedness, convexity, dune,elevation, eminence, excrescence, gibbosity, hill,hummock, hunch, knap, knob, knurl, kyphosis,mound, prominence, protrusion, protuberance,ridge, swell, tumescence (from thesaurus.com).

Since I only have a week and a half left of my internship, I thought I’d do another What I Ate Wednesday of food that I packed. I ended up having to do yesterday (Tuesday), which is super exciting for you because I went out to dinner with my brother and sister-in-law for my brother’s BIRTHDAY!!!!

His birthday is actually today, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG BROTHER!!!! Pretty sure he won’t see this (he tries to read, but he’s a very important and busy person so I don’t hold it against him). For those of you who have been reading for a while, this is the big brother who lives here in Chicago and is the proud owner of my best friend:

This is also his favorite time of year because for the next 3 months he is 3 years older than me, rather than 2. Can you tell that stemmed from childhood arguments?

Anyway, let’s get on to WIAW! If you are new to What I Ate Wednesday, head over to Peas and Crayons to find out what it’s all about!

Peas and Crayons

I was up early and headed to the gym for 10 minutes on the elliptical and then a full body weights workout. I ended a little early to stretch, it was soooo necessary. When I got home I showered and then had some Apple Pie Oats for breakfast! I actually ate half the apple before my shower, and then the other half went into the oatmeal.

For my mid-morning snack I had some Fage 0% yogurt with vanilla stevia, blueberries and some walnut pieces mixed in.

photo 2

I also grabbed an ice coffee from Argo Tea. Mostly an excuse to walk outside and walk around a farmers market that’s near my office.

photo 3

For lunch I had packed up some tuna salad that I made with a free tuna packet I got from Starkist at the Rock N Roll Half Marathon! As the guy was passing them out near their tent after the race, I said “Yes, I’d love some! I’m a poor law student!” and he gave me 4! Lunches for the week!

I mixed the tuna with brown mustard, honey mustard, curry, tumeric and a teeny bit of powdered ginger. I put it on top of some arugula and added cherry tomatoes and pumpkin seeds!

After I finished I was still hungry… So then I started to count up in my head about how many calories were in this dish. Approximately 170. Seriously? Why did I think this would be a filling meal? Apparently I’m insane.

I went ahead and at the KIND bar I brought as a snack, and then ate the carrots and tomatoes right before heading home:

When I got home I had some time until I needed to leave for dinner, so I had half an apple, the rest of my cherries, and some PB2 mixed with Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder:

Aaaaand then my brother texted to say he’d be late. So I ate the other half of the apple with almond butter. Lol, it was already way past my dinnertime.

photo

For dinner, I met my brother and sister in law at Café Babareeba! It’s a Spanish tapas restaurant in Lincoln Park, on Halsted (for you locals). Lucky for me, they also had a gluten free menu!

I started off with their peach sangria:

And for dinner I ordered the asparagus with manchengo cheese, and the rioja short ribs with mashed potatoes. Both were pretty good, but nothing amazing. We all got 2 of our own dishes and then shared bites of each others.

When I got home I was dying for a little something sweet, so I had some frozen berries in flax milk with vanilla stevia.

What’s your favorite packed lunch?

Do you ever need a little something after dinner, or do you have dinner and you’re done?

1. I always have to finish my meal with something sweet…fruit and yoghurt is my go to! (with a little almond butter and some chocolate chips if I’m feeling fancy!) Love the fact they had a complete gluten free menu!

2. Haha I can totally remember having that same “I’m this many years older than you now because my birthday is three months before yours” argument when I was younger too!

3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KATIE’S BROTHER! :)

Everything looks delicious girl. I’m on such an apple kick lately. I swear it’s all I ever want for my day time snacks. Oh & I ALWAYS have dessert after dinner. It’s just necessary :)

4. I always need something after dinner!

5. We always have fruit after dinner at my house! Have to finish on a sweet note :)

6. that dinner sounds amazing. I would so be hitting up those free tuna packets as well!

7. Tapas are the best! I almost always need a little something after dinner. I’m usually not hungry, I just need something sweet to end the night lately. Yay to your internship being almost over! I have three days (including today) left of my job – then I’m off to grad school!

8. I think my favorite packed lunch is a sandwich – especially anything with turkey or avocado!

9. Your puppers is seriously adorable. My favorite packed lunch is probably egg salad sammi, but I HATE mayo, so I use plain greek yogurt in its place with LOTS of dijon mustard :)

10. I love to pack a big sandwich or a yogurt bowl with lots of fixins!

11. Happy birthday to Molly’s dad :) I love tapas, that’s great you found a gluten free place!

12. Ashley says:

That photo of Molly makes me smile! :) My favorite packed lunch is a sandwich or a big ol’ salad. I also just recently started making a big smoothie, and then I stick in the freezer when I get to work until lunch. It works great! I almost always need a little something sweet after dinner unless we eat super late or I eat too much.

• Ahhh I wish we had a fridge in law school, I’m getting so many good ideas but I won’t be able to use them at school! Like your smoothie! And that picture of Molly makes me smile too :)

13. Army Amy says:

I always pack the same thing for lunch because I am a creature of habit: pb&j, yogurt, apple (cut up into slices), carrots and hummus, and whatever chips or crackers I have on hand. I don’t know if it’s the healthiest lunch, but it is easy, yummy, and keeps me full.*

14. The phrase Hump Day gives me the heebeejeebees. I can’t stand it. Thank goodness for thesaurus.com :)

That peach sangria looks delicous! A perfect summertime drink!

15. When I take a lunch, I am all about wraps! They are simple and don’t normally get messy!

16. Happy Birthday to your brother! I hate when I bring too little for lunch! Sometimes I don’t know what I was thinking when I was packing my lunch.

17. I’ve found lately that normally I’m fine after dinner unless I’m sitting in front of the TV. Then I’m all musteateverythingavailablenow. Haha. Thank goodness I’m not normally much of a TV watcher! (Except right now during the Olympics…)

Since I started my big kid job I’ve made a relatively serious effort to mix up my lunches, and I think my favorite one so far is my crazy tuna salad mess made of leftover tuna (growing up, we always had tuna melts every Sunday night for supper, and I still do that now even though I don’t live with my family because I love it so much haha) and pretty much anything fresh I find in my fridge — lettuce, carrots, cucumber, blueberries, strawberries: game on. It’s a super weird combo, but I love it! (I also think I love it because salad days are the one day I pack Pop Chips with my lunch, and Pop Chips are my favorite. So good!)

18. Haha that synonyms list is awesome; made me LOL awkwardly at the office! Yummy eats!

19. Happy birthday to your brother! I love salads for a packed lunch.

20. The thought of Apple Pie oats sounds delightful! As for my dinner or post dinner–I usually am pretty set with just dinner, but this i because I usually don’t eat until 7:45-8pm. By the time I finish, its too late for anything else. When I eat earlier dinners, I do indulge in a little something post dinner :)

21. that peach sangria looks wonderful :) happy bday to your bro! my favorite packed luck is a turkey sandwich or a pb&j. i ALWAYS have to have something after dinner even if it is just a little square of dark chocolate!

22. LaTarian Milton says:

hey, look who’s reading your blog now! you made me feel guilty. i wish we had argo tea here…you always make it sound so special.

23. Happy Birthday to YOUR BROTHER!!! :)

I usually have something sweet after dinner–a fruit, ice cream, yogurt with granola or berries/stevia.

I totally eat before going out to dinner–apples + nuts are a great one!

24. Bec says:

I love seeing packed lunches because I have to pack one most days and I love the inspiration. You’re dinner sounds fabulous too :)

25. I must try that berries in milk, I keep seeing it over and over again!

Yummy, your eats looked good :)

26. sloanepitman says:

YUMMY I’m loving Apple Cinnamon flavored oatmeal recently too! And Tapas are the best! it all looks so good. Happy WIAW :)

Yay for free tuna :-) That was so nice of him to give you lunches for the week! I’m a big fan of tuna salad.

AND yay for only 2 more weeks of work! It is crazy that summer is already winding down.

28. Really, you can’t go wrong with a PB&J!

29. Rebecca says:

I have to compliment you on your assessment of your tuna salad. You were hungry after, realized how few calories u consumed, and ate more. So many bloggers show some tiny salad and say they ate it & were full for hours & that it gave them enough energy to run a marathon. So I really appreciated how realistic your post was. Thanks!!