WIAW–Last Week of Work!

August 8, 2012 by Katie

Happy Wednesday! I realize I’ll be saying this almost every day this week, but I can’t believe it: only 3 days left of my internship! Lucky me, my supervisor said I could come in a little late this morning when I asked. I’m kind of out of things to do and since I have 7 miles this morning it’s keeping me from getting up at 4:40 like I’d planned… No one should wake up before 5 unless for a special occasion.

Anyway, since this is the last week of my internship, I thought I’d share one more What I Ate Wednesday at work! If you’re new to WIAW, head over to Peas and Crayons to check it out!

Peas and Crayons

This is actually all my food from last Thursday! I wanted to get ahead of the game and take all my pictures then so I didn’t forget!

I ran 4 miles that morning and once I was back and showered I had a class: Apple Pie Oats! Despite the heat, I still have these at least twice a week! They’re my favorite!

Check out my adorable Chobani lunch bag! I got it as one of the favors at our Chobani dinner!

My mid-morning snack was some Fage yogurt with vanilla stevia, blueberries and walnuts! I pre-mix the stevia in and add my toppings, and then cover it with plastic wrap and a rubber band to bring it to work.

I loooooved my lunch! I bought some frozen salmon burgers from Trader Joe’s that week, so I heated one up and put it on top of some arugula, along with cherry tomatoes, avocado (about 1/3) and about 2 T sliced almonds. For dressing I mixed up some apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. I wish I’d had another dressing on hand, but that worked!

My afternoon snack was an apple and then a KIND bar! I bought a box of these KIND bars when they were on sale at Whole Foods, and now I’ve only got 4 left! I’m really working my way through them!

By the time dinner rolled around I was CRAVING some saltiness and some veggies, so I sliced up carrots, zucchini and eggplant to make "fries" and tossed them in a bit of olive oil and salt and roasted them in the oven at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. I served them with ketchup and topped it all with an egg.

I realize this really isn’t a lot of food for dinner, but I wasn’t super hungry so I made sure to be heavy handed with the olive oil :) Gotta love those healthy fats!

I wanted something sweet for dessert so I had some frozen berries in almond milk, along with PB2 mixed with Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder. About an hour later I ended up having this same thing again, I guess that hunger kicked in! Haha or just snackiness. Yes, that’s a word.

And one more fun thing – I’ve been seeing everyone putting multiple photos together or text on their pictures on istagram for AGES but I couldn’t figure out how it was done! I finally asked Annette, and she told me to use the app Pic Stitch! I am so excited that I’m "in the know" now! I wanted to share it with you all too!

What’s your favorite form of healthy fats OTHER THAN nut butters? (yes, I wanted to make this hard!)

What time do you usually get up in the morning?

1. Chelsie says:

YUM, YUM, YUM to all of the above!!

Avocado, chia seeds, and pumpkin/sunflower/flax seeds are my favourite ways other than nut butters to get in my healthy fats. (Oh! And sliced almonds.) (Oh, and a whole soft boiled egg once a day – it’s rich and heavenly!!) As someone who used to be PETRIFIED of any kind of fat, embracing these has actually changed my whole body. My hair and nails are so much stronger and shinier, and I genuinely just feel better. Healthy fats all the way!!

2. Kelly says:

Considering I always tell people I bet I’d be 10 lbs lighter if I didn’t live off of nut butters, that’s a tough question! But I think it would be avocado! Gotta get my omega 3′s :) And I wake up at 5:15 am to work out before work too, it’s the best!

3. that isn’t even a challenge: avacado and fattier fish like salmon!

ALSO i love the idea to premix your yogurt!

4. Lori says:

Avocados, walnuts and coconut oil. Can’t live without those fats!!! I have one or more of those every day…

5. Enjoy your last week of interning!

6. Roasted veggies that way are my favorite. I have them almost every night. no really every night. Love that chobani bag, how perfect for work.

7. Nicole says:

Avocado and walnuts are my favorite form of healthy fats–even more so than nut butters, these days!

Those roasted veggies look delicious! Whenever I roast eggplant is always gets soggy, though–did you do anything special to make it not soggy?

8. Linz says:

I use frametastic with my phone, but i’m going to have to check out Pic Stitch!

9. Avocado. HMMMMM…..on top of my healthy omega-3 egg packed scrambled egg:-)

I love roasting veggies but have never tried carrots…but I will tonight!

I have to wake up at 4:30…..I’m used to it now though and try to be in bed by 8:30.

10. I love my chobani lunch bag! Perfect size :) Yummy day of eating!

11. All of your food looks so good! I eat a lot of avocado (non nut butter healthy fat) and also use olive oil whenever I cook anything.

I’m obsessed with the Chobani stuff. My coworkers must think I’m crazy because I have the lunch box and the water bottle on my desk almost every day!

12. Ashley says:

I am loving all of your eats this week! Great idea with the yogurt! My favorite healthy fat (besides nut butter of course) is avocado! I’ve been eating it like crazy lately. Yum!

13. commitcomplete says:

Avocado all the way!

14. Non nut butter healthy fat? I don’t know if I eat any! Haha. I guess salmon would fall into that category, so that’s what I’ll go with. I’m not a huge avocado fan (gasp!), which is the only other one that comes to mind.

15. Cheese and avocado! And thanks for the app recommendation – I’ve been trying to find a good app for that too!

16. Ugh, definitely need a new phone so I can get in on the instagram action.

Love KIND bars! Have you tried the peanut butter dark chocolate one? It’s amazing – tastes like a Snickers bar!

17. I love that you packed fage yogurt for a snack and put it into a chobani lunch bag!!!
    What can we do? There are so many good brands! :)

18. Love your chobani bag, too cute!! As always, all your meals look so tasty & delicous :). I just had an evening snack about a half ago, and my belly is growing.. I’m thinking it’s in need of a cookie or two to end the night :).

19. That salad looks AWESOME!

What a cool idea to put that snack together with a rubber band?! Genius. Did you learn that in law school?! ;)

20. Avocados and also roasted veggies with extra olive oil… bring on those fats please! The salad you have there looks pretty fantastic too, I haven’t had a salad in a while surprisingly, that needs to change!

21. Your meals look so great! The apple pie oatmeal sounds fabulous!

22. Yum apple pie oatmeal sounds delish! I love avacado’s, omega 3′s (salmon, red snapper i think), almonds, walnuts, and olive oil. I usually get up at 7:00am in the summer and at 6:30am during the school year

23. I love seeing what everyone is eating. It looks so yummy!

24. veggiedancer says:

My favorite way to get healthy fats (other than nut butters) is by eating avocados, whether plain or mashed into guacamole. I also love using coconut oil to bake with–it makes everything so rich and smooth-tasting! And I normally get up around 6:00 each morning, even on the weekends and during the summer. Some people may call me crazy, but I love getting an early start to the day:)

25. my favorite way to get in some healthy fats (of course nut butter is #1 though ahha) is avocado and eggs! both are so versatile and eat them basically every day.

26. Other than nut butters I love chia seeds, avocado, eggs and normal nuts.
    I’m also currently doing an internship and get up at 6am on non-morning-workout days. However, if I have a run to do, I like going in the morning since it’s sooo much cooler which however requires me to get up at around 5.10am. You’re right, no one should get up at 4.40am!

27. sharklegs says:

i used to have to get up at 4:45 am for work, yuck! its weird what your body can get used to. right now its used to sleeping in, so going back to work will be tough at first! i love my chia seeds and flax meal in my smoothies & oatmeal :)

28. It all looks so good! I have been having a harder and harder time getting up early with work and school.. only 9 weeks till graduation whew ;-)

29. i LOVE avocado! i literally always have one at my house! so creamy and fabulous!

30. I love the idea of the plastic wrap + rubberband. Mental self note as I get ready to begin classes for the Fall semester.

31. Run Eat Play says:

Those Apple Pie Oats look awesome – I have to try those out! I love that you keep your Fage yogurt in a Chobani bag :)

32. I’m addicted to avocados and pumpkin seeds. Lots and lots of healthy fats!
    I also have been loving frozen salmon burgers lately. I probably have them a couple times a week!

33. sloanepitman says:

Mmm it all looks so yummy! I looove some roasted veggies! I’m trying really hard to branch out into the healthy fat world lately. I’ve been pretty much sticking with almond butter, but I have been venturing into avocados–I looove the creaminess. It adds a perfect touch to wraps at lunchtime. I’ve started eating chia seeds too–I love them in frozen greek yogurt and in overnight oats. I’m so jealous of your chobani bag–cute and functional. Thanks for sharing and happy wednesday :)

Congratulations on almost being done with your internship!
    All of your food looks delicious. I looove Kind Bars. I’m dying to try the new varieties that they just released with only 5 grams of sugar per bar. They sound so yummy.
    My favorite healthy fats are raw or roasted nuts, olive oil, and avocado! Mmm…

35. My fav healthy fat is FOR SURE olive oil!! The smell of it cooking potatoes or sizzling on the pan takes me back to my host mom’s apartment in Spain every time :)