HLS–Post 2

August 20, 2012 by Katie

Hello! I am back in Chicago and had a great trip to Boston! Today I’m going to finish with a short re-cap and then tomorrow I think I’ll share some more specific thoughts I have about the experience. I’m sure you’ve read re-caps all over the healthy living blogosphere so I’ll try to keep it short!

So where did we leave off? After lunch! When lunch ended we listened to our keynote speakers, Genie and Kim from Wild Harvest. They talked about nutrition, what they do to promote nutrition and then how to write and form recipes. It was actually really interesting and I wish they could have kept going! Actually I felt that way about almost all the sessions I went to!

After the keynote speech we had two more sessions. First I went to I Am the Blogger In Your Neighborhood, which was a panel hosted by Holly, including Meghann and Clare. They had some really good tips about how to get involved as a blogger in your community! Next up was The Fuzzy Grey Areas of Blogging, which was another panel hosted by Rachel Wilkerson with Dori Manela and Teri Zawronty. I’d actually never read any of their blogs but I loved the session and I’ve added them to my reader! Although honestly I was hoping the session would get into a little more controversial issues, but I think they just didn’t have enough time!

After the sessions there were some closing remarks, including some raffle giveaway prizes! I didn’t win anything (granted, I wouldn’t have been able to fit it in my bag with all the other goodies from our sponsors) but my roomie Rachel won a gift basket from Wild Harvest!

When everything wrapped up, we headed upstairs to shower and then off to Harvard Square where we met a big group of bloggers and some of the crossfit coaches from that morning at Café Sushi. The sushi was great, but the company was even better! (corny, I know).

I had some Clear Soup and then ordered two rolls: yellowtail and scallions and then tuna and avocado. Very good!

After dinner we walked around and went to Berry Lime, a local little frozen yogurt place. It was really cute and good, although they only had 3 flavors. The quality totally made up for it though!

My roommates and I then decided to head over to a small bar to hangout with some of the crossfit coaches. They were absolutely hilarious and decided to come up with a blog of their own. I would totally read it, but I have a feeling it’s not going to happen… Haha oh well. I had a really good time and was glad I decided to stay out, I forgot how much fun being SOCIAL can be, rather than worrying about my bedtime! (and we still got back by 11:30… gotta love healthy living bloggers).

In the morning there was a run/walk 5K and I although my legs were still sore from my hike, I was excited to run in Boston! Surprisingly I felt great and really enjoyed the run, especially since I got to spend more time talking to Tessa, and a little time talking to Amanda! It was great to meet her!

After the run it was time for breakfast where many of us said our goodbyes. It was really sad to see everyone go, it was so nice to spend a weekend with people who are so similar to me! My flight wasn’t until almost 8pm (cheaper) so I showered, packed, said goodbyes and then went to lunch with Lindsay, Lisa and Sara where I ordered a veggie frittata.

After lunch Sara and I walked around a bit and I got my first try of JP Licks! Pretty good stuff!

I had a great weekend and can’t wait to give you all a more detailed re-cap of my thoughts sometime this week!

Have you ever been to Boston?

Ever won something in a raffle?

1. I’ve never been to Boston, but I’d love to go there someday! It sounds like you had a great time! I’d really like to go next year!

2. *sigh* I’m going to stay jealous for a solid week, as I read all these recap posts ;) I’m glad you had fun though!

3. Never been to Boston, but it looks really fun! The veggie frittata looks insanely delicious!

4. These recap posts are killing me – sounds like a great time!

5. Caroline says:

I’m from Boston and moving back in a couple of weeks, I can’t wait! And I never win raffles, ever. haha
    Sounds like you had a ton of fun! So jealous : )

6. Sounds like you had a great time! I went to boston once with my dad and sister for a tourist vacation. I loved it. I would go back there to do my own thing and not tour everything and find the city for myself. That fro yo looks amazing! I never really win raffels. Have a great Monday

7. kaitwatts says:

I grew up in Rhode Island, so Boston was an easy train ride for us. In fact, in the 6th grade we took a field trip to Quincey Market. I am not sure why except that our teacher liked to shop. It’s one of my favorite cities.

It looks like everyone had a blast!! And Boston seems like such a cool city.
    I need to find some healthy living bloggers here in town… going out and being back by 11:30 sounds like my kinda night :-)

9. Dori says:

You’re right, we were definitely time crunched and trying to get through an ambitious list of topics so we glossed over a lot. It was really great meeting you and I hope we can hang out again!

10. more recap posts = more jealousy for me. Le sigh.
    I’m glad everyone had such an awesome time!

11. I am so jealous of all these posts, what fun it must have been to have those girls as your roommates!

12. I’ve never been to Boston–but it looks awesome!

What a fun weekend you all had :) And YES to the fro yo….mmmmmm

Boston looks gorgeous!
    All of these recap posts are making me even more jealous. I’m sure you girlies all had a blast. I can’t even imagine what an entire convention of food-loving bloggers must be like!

14. It was so lovely to talk to you during that run Katie… I wish we had way MORE time to talk though, we are so similar to each other and can relate on so much! I had a blast with you on Saturday night too :) That blog is one I am going to look for too ;)

15. Looks like you got to have some great food while you were in Boston! It all looks really yummy. I’m glad you had a great time at the summit–it seems like everyone did!

16. Looks like and awesome last day in Boston! Next time I’m there, I’m definitely hitting up JP Licks.
    It was so great to spend time with you this weekend, I hope we can meet up in Chicago sometime soon!

17. Your JP Licks sundae looks delectable!! Are those rasperries on top?! What else was in it?
    Sounds like you had a great weekend! :)

18. Meg says:

AHHHHHHH your J.P. Licks cup made me drool! Wish I was with ya girl! XO

I liked this recap and I’m so happy you went out with the guys after :) I would have, but I am so happy I got my packing done. I would have been STRESSED Sunday morning. At least Max texted me in the morning saying he was glad to meet me ;) Nice guys! I don’t think their blog will happen either, but I’d totally read it too HA! We’ll try to convince them ;)

I’m so happy you came to sushi/fro yo! I was so happy to get to know you better sweetie! You are truly a sweetheart!

I cannot wait to hear more of your “personal” experiences from HLS :) YAY! Looking forward to upcoming posts!

Once again, miss and love you so so much xxoo

19. I’m so glad we were able to hang out and chat Sunday afternoon! Tory Row was a hidden gem of a restaurant; I guess we have Meg and Chelsea to thank for the recommendation!

Congrats on finishing your 16 mile run today! I think that delicious veggie frittata, JP Licks ice cream (and mini sample of oatmeal cookie) must have helped after all. ;) xoxo

20. Katie it was so awesome to meet you this weekend! I’m so glad we got to actually hang out and get to know each other! :)

I totally agree about the company being better than the sushi (and the sushi was incredible, so I guess that really says something about the company). I loved that there was such a big group of us! But I wish I’d stayed out with you and the guys. I was considering it, but I was sooo sleep deprived all weekend and I wanted to try to get a good night’s sleep! I didn’t though, haha.

I’m so glad you checked out Tory Row after we all left! I didn’t even see that frittata on the menu, but it looks so good!

21. I’m loving all these HLS recaps from all you girls. So glad y’all had such a fun time getting to meet & know one another!!

22. Mel says:

What issues do you wish were discussed during the Fuzzy Grey Areas of Blogging panel?