Suck It Up and… Don’t Run!?

August 31, 2012 by Katie

HAPPY WEEKEND!!! Oh, that’s just for me??

MWUUAAAAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh). Okay, okay, I won’t rub it in.

There are definitely pros and cons to both the 9-5 schedule and the student schedule.

Pro for student: very flexible schedule, Con for student: your work is NEVER done, there is always something you should be doing.

Pro for 9-5: you are DONE at 5 and DONE on the weekends, completely free!, Con: not so flexible schedule.

Grass is always greener, right? That 9-5 grass is going to be looking reeeeally green near come November. Anyway, I had a lot of ideas for today’s post, but those are just going to have to wait! After my run yesterday morning I decided I wanted to write this post about something very important that happened in my marathon training this week:

I skipped a run.

Not just a little run, but a big run. Every week we have a mid-week run that’s been getting longer and longer and this week’s was 9. I skipped it.

It was HARD to skip but it was oh so necessary. After my big hike in Colorado, my legs have been really sore and I haven’t given them a break. I crammed in all my runs that I had to push back from HLS and managed to hit every mile. Well, this all caught up to me this week. When I headed out for my run on Tuesday, I knew it wasn’t going to be pretty. It wasn’t just not-pretty, it was fugly. I’m not sure what the "f" stands for on fugly, but I just assume it’s another step down from ugly.

My legs weren’t sore, they were fatigued. Every step was hard and tiring. I honestly would have stopped a lot earlier had I not done an out and back course. I was actually texting people each time I stopped, asking questions to figure out the reason for this fatigue.

I came to a conclusion: not enough rest, not enough iron and not enough carbs.

I already mentioned my thoughts on being low in iron, but I also realized during that 4 mile run that I hadn’t been eating many carbs. I’ve been experimenting with paleo recipes because they look and sound so good, and honestly I just don’t crave carbs right now. However, I need to get them back in my life if I want to complete this marathon. They are sooooo necessary because they are the fastest source of energy for your muscles when you’re running. When my legs run out of carbs, they start eating muscle!! NO GOOD! I like my muscle!

Anyway, I knew that I needed to skip my 9 miler Wednesday if I wanted to kick this 18 miler’s butt tomorrow morning. But I kept waffling. Should I skip? Maybe I should just try? Well thanks to Lindsay’s 5 days of rest I realized missing ONE training run isn’t going to kill me. So Wednesday morning I said goodbye to my running shoes, put on some shoes I can’t run in and headed to the gym for upper body weights.

It was SO HARD!!! I Loooooove to run, but I’m also an incredibly stubborn person and I like to stick to my plan. My plan said to run 9 miles and gosh darn it I wanted to complete that, I wanted to complete my mileage for the week! But I had to just get over myself and not run.

Am I glad I did it? Oh yes.

I felt sooooo much better by Thursday morning, so I headed to the gym to do my 5 miles, thinking I’d do minimum 5 (if it wasn’t to tiring) and max 8. Guess how many I did???

EIGHT! And they were awesome. And now I am ready to ROCK this 18 miler tomorrow (don’t think I’m superwoman – I’m also SCARED of this 18 miler tomorrow!). Only a couple months ago I considered it a great week of running if I hit 18 as my WEEKLY mileage. Not all at once! Ahhhhhh!

So wish me luck! Wish my legs luck! And a prayer or two might help as well! Oh, and wish Molly luck too because she’ll be running it alone! (and I don’t mean dog Molly Smile )

Do you have an activity that you just hate to skip even if it’s the best thing for you?

What’s something you did this week that you are proud of?

1. Good luck with 18 miles! And it’s good that you listened to your body! I skipped a run yesterday, and I’m glad that I did!

2. Good luck with your 18 miles! I’ll probably struggle more with my 5 miles than you will with 18. ;)

3. Kudos to you for listening to your body!! It’s not always easy to skip a planned workout when it feels like it’s an obligation. (I know I become a little ball of anxiety when I do!!) But there are exceptions to every rule, and your body was obviously yelling for you to step back. Inspirational for sure!! :)

4. Linz says:

Itz always best to listen to your body. I’m sure you’ll rock the 18-miler! :) :)

5. There you go! Way to listen to your body, so needed sometimes. I am glad you did that and now 18 miles will feel like nothing.

6. It is so hard to miss scheduled runs, but I never regret feeling better later. This week I went on my first night run to test out my RTB head lamp. It was awesome ;)

7. Kierston says:

Listening to your body is so, SO important! :)

8. That is so good that you listened to your body. The thing that I am most proud of this week is getting the courage to go to a book club and meet some amazing bloggers. I get very very anxious meeting new people. Have a good weekend. Good luck tomorrow on your 18 miler! You go girl

I’m sure your rest day will do wonders for your future performance – it seems like it already has! When training for my marathon, I actually skipped almost all of the mid-week long runs once I started teaching for the school year, so about a third of them. And I still made it!

10. I’m sure in the long term skipping that run was probably the best decision you could have made. I completely understand the fatigued leg feeling — I felt like I bonked on a five miler (right?) earlier this summer because the previous two days had included my fastest 10K ever, a two mile walk in flip flops (DUMB), and about seven hours on my feet at a street fest. My legs just couldn’t handle any more activity without some rest!

Kick asphalt tomorrow! I’ll think of all of you when I’m finishing my six miler ;)

11. Ashley says:

Good for you girl! It’s SO important to listen to your body! I always have to remind myself that resting is just as important as the training too. And yes, carb up today! ;)

12. onehealthymunchkin says:

Yay for making good choices and listening to your body! I bet your legs are thanking you. :) I used to have so much trouble skipping a planned workout, but I actually do it pretty often now. I’d much rather skip a day and feel fresh for my next workout than try to push myself through a crappy workout!

13. Sometimes we just can’t do it. You are wise to listen to what you body is telling you, and reacting accordingly. Your body will thank you in the end. Happy Running!

14. Good to hear you’re listening to your body! I definitely struggle with missing planned workouts because of body fatigue. I’m definitely a planner, so when I have to change it up last minute, it’s annoying to deal with. It’s definitely the right thing to do though!

15. YAY for listening to your body!! THAT is how injuries are avoided, my sista. GOOD job.

And good luck on the 18! You will rock those bad boys! :)

16. Sara Workman says:

YOU CAN do it! I have 18 miles on for tomorrow as well, and I’m super nervous about it since it will be a PDR for me. Plus, I have to run alone. I’ll be thinking of you as I run and cheering you on from Pennsylvania :)

17. Nicole says:

Good luck on your 18 miles tomorrow! Allowing myself to skip training runs when my body needs it has been difficult, but worth it. I ran my 20-miler today, after resting last weekend due to a nasty summer cold that left me just plain exhausted…and I felt great today!

18. Cate says:

It can be really hard to skip a workout, but it sounded like it was the right decision for you. Listening to your body is so important to help prevent injury. I need to skip a workout two weeks ago for my back and it was definitely the right decision although a tough one to make.
    Good luck tomorrow on your 18 miles too :)

19. WOW 18 miles is huge! Good luck, I’m sure you will rock it :)

I skipped a long run while training for my half a few months ago because my body was basically begging me to do so. It works to your own benefit in the end!

20. I am currently really loving Paleo, it is really helping with a lot of issues but I can see why it would be baaaaddd if you are training for a marathon. 18 miles sounds so very far but I am sure you will kick some booty!!! Good luck!!! I work full time and attend school at night three nights a week.. boy oh boy do I get the worse of both worlds LOL

21. Sometimes you have to do what’s best for your body! So good for you! This week, I was proud of switching up my breakfast routine and trying a few different things!

22. bravehannah says:

Very good job on taking a running break! I’m like you, I hate not doing things that I have planned out to do!!! Best of luck on the 18 miler tomorrow! You will do great:)
    This week I am proud of starting my own blog. It’s not much yet but I finally did it:)

23. runwkate says:

Good on you for skipping it! Good call.

I’ve been enjoying your blog lately because I’ve been seriously low on the iron and carb front too – without even realising it. It’s sometimes easy to forget that running actually means that we need a little more than the average super healthy health-nut diet!

24. Really good for you in listening to your body and not running, I know how tough it can be to deviate from your plan sometimes! Hope you get your iron levels sorted, I’ve been trying to get plenty of egg yolks in to help me, I guess you could have yours with lots of sweet potatoes to get those carbs in!

25. still laughing at “i don’t mean dog molly”. you’re the best, katie :)

26. Meg says:

So proud of you love! Lindsay is so inspiring isn’t she?

I’m with you about the paleo recipes. They all sound so delicious, but carbs just work for me and my body. Some people can do without, but the minute I drop mine I can tell!