WIAW–Last Day as a 24 Year Old

October 31, 2012 by Katie

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all your birthday wishes, I loved reading all of them! I had a great birthday, but more on that another time. Today is Wednesday, which means another WIAW post! If you’re new to What I Ate Wednesday, head over to Peas and Crayons to find out what it’s all about, and to see the other participating blogs!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Today’s WIAW comes from Monday, my last day as a 24 year-old! I started off the morning with my current favorite breakfast: 2 eggs over easy on a sweet potato! I top it with hot sauce from Trader Joe’s and Monday I also sliced and steamed 2 big carrots and mixed them in the last of my Tzatziki sauce from Trader Joe’s.

While doing some studying for the MPRE, I snacked on a handful of walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds, and a dark chocolate Hershey Kiss.

For lunch I was dying to try this gluten free Chicken Noodle Soup I found at Whole Foods!

It was really good! I added about 1/2 cup of peas to add some extra veggies to the soup, and had a piece of Udi’s bread on the side.

I had a doctor’s appointment to get some stiches out (I had 2 moles removed last week – Go get your skin checked!!!) and then I had to pick up some crafts and prizes for Girls on the Run. Since it was so cold I grabbed a Mista (café au lait) on my way to the dollar tree. (p.s. EVERYTHING is a dollar in that store! I was amazed at what you could get for a DOLLAR!)

While the girls were running their practice 5K, I had a KIND bar. Then I had half a banana (unpictured) after practice on my way to the gym.

When I got home I realized I forgot to turn the crockpot to warm (it was on high…) so the chicken in my chicken soup was a little overcooked. But it smelled amazing!

Crockpot Chicken Soup

Ingredients

1 bunches celery (stalks?)

8 medium carrots

1 onion

1.5 cups steamed peas

1 quart chicken broth

2 chicken breasts

2 cups water

seasoning: rosemary, thyme, anything! (I used rosemary, thyme, and red pepper flakes).

Directions

Put chicken breasts in bottom of crockpot. Slice celery and onion and add to pot. Peel and slice carrots and add to pot. Pour in chicken broth and water. Add seasoning. Cook on High for 5-6 hours. Turn of and stir in peas as well as break up chicken breasts. I used a 2 prong fork and another big fork.

I had to have a bowl right away! It was so good since I was still freezing from being outside, even after being in the gym for an hour for my workout!

After dinner I had some of the halloween candy I got from a bulk store! Is it weird that the peanuts were my favorite part?

Later on I had some Yogi Tea…

And I also sliced up a Honeycrisp apple to munch on! I like dipping the apple slices in my warm tea… Yes I’m special.

So there you have it! My last day as a 24 year old. I think the Halloween candy was pretty key in there. Loooove candy corn!

What’s your favorite Halloween Candy?

What’s your favorite cold weather food?

1. You ate a lot of chicken soup on Monday. I’m surprised you didn’t turn into a chicken! PS – Is a mista different than a misto?!

2. wow, what a soupy day…i’m so glad it’s getting colder out because i am loving my warm breakfasts a lot more and i see soup in my dinner future more too which always makes me happy. i’m glad you had a great birthday and that saying goodbye to 24 wasn’t so hard. i imagine i’m going to struggle saying goodbye to 26…27 seems so old!

3. Yum. That chicken crock-pot soup sounds delicious. Have you ever tried adding “abnormal” veggies to chicken soup? Like zucchini, broccoli or onions (<<<actually I don't think onions are that abnormal). I always thought that it would be fun to experiment!

I haven't had to get any moles removed yet, but it is a definite possibility in the future for me. Fingers crossed that they all check out okay!

And the dollar store is awesome. Whenever I need presents for a friend's birthday, I go to the dollar store and pick out the best 10 things that I can find. Then I buy a bag and a card. BAM. Instant HUGE present for only $12.00 :D

• Katie says:

There are onions in there, and this is the first time I’ve made my own soup like this, so I haven’t tried anything else! And I hope your skin checks out okay!

4. Jessie says:

Happy Belated Birthday girl! Hope you had a wonderful day :)

&& even though you may of overcooked your chicken, the soup still looks delicious!!

5. Happy almost birthday! Everything looks amazing, especially that soup! And that Kind Bar= heaven:)

6. Favourite Halloween candy is Peanut Butter cups. Good thing that’s the only kind I bought to hand out tonight, I can hope for lots of leftovers :-p

7. When the weather turns cold I can’t seem to get enough soup! I desperately need my own crockpot.

8. kelsey says:

oh I want to try that sweet peach tea- I love yogi tea.

not bad eats for a last day of being 24 years old!

9. That soup looks so simple and so perfect for the current weather! Hope you had a wonderful bday!!

10. You dip apple slices into warm tea?? I’ve never heard of that before! Do the apples get…soggy? Haha!

Enjoy your last day as a 24-yr-old, Katie!!

11. You are a girl after my own heart — bulk candy is THE ONLY way to go. You get all of your favourites without the commitment of a huge bag!! It’s totally the adult version of (selective) trick-or-treating!! :D

12. Courtney says:

Happy belated birthday! I like your crockpot dish; I bought a crockpot over the weekend and loved making soup in it. Delicious and SO easy!

13. Lia says:

That’s a cute idea actually, to document the last day of an age. It’d make a cute personal “year book” idea or something. I’m a big fan of dipping things into tea, but I’ve never heard of dipping apples! I’m legit curious now!

Halloween candy: Candy Corn – I just love the stuff, though I don’t eat it anymore
    Cold Weather Food – Chili! with fresh corn bread of course

14. I’m going to have try eating eggs on a sweet potato! It sounds really good!

15. Happy Birthday for tomorrow!!!

16. Haha I was going to pretty much say the same exact thing as Chelsey about the chicken soup… Too funny. I love soup when it’s chilly too! Or pasta! My favorite Halloween candy? In this order: Reese’s, Butterfinger, Snickers. Obviously I’m all about the chocolate. ;)

17. It is most definitely soup weather right now!

My favorite halloween candy is most definitely reeses cups. I’m not sure I can have them anymore but my boss just put one on my desk so we’ll see how long it lasts.

18. Man now all I want is some delicious candy, Looks like some good eats as a 24 year old. can only get better from here right?

19. I love bulk bins. They are like salad bars for candy (if that makes any sense). Those candy corn pumpkins are the best!

20. My favorite Halloween candy is definitely the pumpkins in the candy corn bag. So good!

21. I am all about warm meals this time of year. I’m dying to open my crock pot (got it for Christmas last year…still have not opened the box. Thanks, fam! Haha), but I’m waiting until I get my leftover situation under control. I legitimately have not cooked for three weeks aside from like one quesadilla because I’ve had so. many. leftovers. The freezer situation was not good. BUT! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I think I’m going to be able to break out the crock pot next week! Cannot wait.

Take 5 bars are hands down my favorite candy. Chocolate + peanut butter + pretzel + caramel + peanut = literally could not ask for anything more out of my candy bar.

22. That crock pot soup sounds SOO good!! I want to make that!

I think dipping apples into tea sounds awesome. So I guess we’re both special then??

Happy Halloween, and glad you had a good BIRTHDAY :)

23. MigraineMe says:

Good luck with the MPRE – you will do great!!! Favorite cold weather food – either soup or chili, for sure!

24. Katie Mc says:

How come it’s always us pale, white girls that have to get moles biopsied? Def a good reminder for people though. The smallest one I had removed turned out to be melanoma. I’ll take a scar over cancer anyday.

25. rach says:

I eat a LOT late at night. I’m not an exerciser like you either. I need to get a grip. :) Bigtime.

How many servings for the crockpot soup? Do you shred the chicken before or after?

That soup looks good. I’m into a stupid orthorexic mindset and I always think about the sodium or the quality of the chicken, etc..ugh, don’t ever get anal like that –it’s ruined me :(

• Katie says:

I shredded the chicken after it cooked (put it in raw) because it broke apart really easily at that point. And when you make it yourself you don’t have to worry about those things: I used low-sodium chicken broth and organic free-range chicken breasts!

26. […] it’s Friday! Now that I’ve finished recapping my whole Birthday week (my birthday, WIAW: last day as a 24 year-old, and Thursday Thoughts: Birthday Edition), it’s time to recognize the fact that October is behind […]

27. Beth says:

Katie, what is your favorite type of Udi’s gluten free bread? Do you eat all organic foods? Thanks!