Thirteen Reasons Why

November 4, 2012 by Katie

Spoke too soon.

Yesterday I showed you all my workout plan for the week. Well, after typing up my post I decided to go to a Zumba class I found in the south loop. The class was a blast, but about 20 min in I felt my IT band start to bother me. I tried to stop doing side-to-side as much as I could, but by the end of class it was really hurting again. What does this mean? Well, it means this past week with no running hasn’t helped. I’ve decided to take another week off, and wait until the GOTR 5K on Saturday to run again. As frustrated as I am right now, I know that in the long run this is what’s going to help.

So here’s my new workout plan:

workouts 11-5

Well. There you have it.

Enough of that depressing-ness, time for a book review! Every month I participate in Julie’s book club, and this month’s book was called Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Thirteen reasons why is narrated by a boy who follows the story of the girl he liked in high school and she explained how thirteen different people affected her decision to commit suicide. The novel is definitely not an uplifting novel, but despite that I really enjoyed reading it. It was definitely a page turner and despite the fact that at the beginning of the book you already know she’s died, I still wished that it hadn’t happened, that he’d stopped her somehow.

Despite the stories bleak subject matter, I felt like it discussed a very important issue. The girl shows us that although each of these thirteen people did something small, each of the small things affected her life greatly. We all know that bullying is an issue in our society but this book did a great job of showing how it really affected the bullied person, as well as demonstrated that bullying isn’t just about harassing someone, it can be done in much more subtle ways. I loved how the author switched back and forth between the current time narrated by the boy and the past narrated by the girl who committed suicide. And although everything that happened to the girl during her time at this high school seems like a lot when combined, the author wrote the story and the characters in a way that was very realistic.

I really enjoyed reading this book and finished it pretty quickly! I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something a little more thought-provoking and very relevant to society today. If you live in Chicago you can borrow my copy!

Was bullying an issue in you middle school, high school or college (or workplace now)?

Have you read this book, what did you think?

Anyone have magical IT band healing capabilities?

1. i am seriously in love with your workout schedule picture. it’s so cute and makes me so happy, not to mention makes me want to workout lol. i’m really impressed with your ability to combine all your workouts but even more than that with your ability to acknowledge when you need to change it up or take a break. i am terrible about that but it’s definitely something i’m working on!

2. Christina says:

Sorry about your IT band. I suffered from an injured IT band for four months this past January. You know what really helped me was yoga. All of that stretching helped I also saw a physical therapist too. Hope it gets better :). There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Love the pretty workout schedule.

3. IT band injuries take months to fully recover from. Even a few short runs can irritate your leg. (Take it from someone who did not listen to her doctor and paid for it.) Sad as it may sound, for now replace running with yoga, swimming, and weight training. If you are able to, go see a PT. Feel better!

4. Oh no!! Katie, I’m SOOO sorry to hear about your IT band. Do they have physio on campus that you might have access to? I would look into it for sure!!
    Bullying wasn’t an issue for me in the younger years, but it was hard to watch my brothers go through it and feel absolutely helpless. It was more of an issue for me at university with my first year roommates. I ended up needing to move to a different dorm at the beginning of November it was so bad. I’m glad that by then I was able to tell myself that it would be temporary — I honestly don’t know what would have happened had I had to live there all year.

• Katie says:

My little brother was bullied too, it was hard to see! And I definitely saw a lot of bullying freshman year of college, I’m sorry you had to deal with it! It’s a good thing you were able to move!

5. I wanted to read that book with Julie, but my library didn’t have it in time for me. It’s on my list though! I hope your IT band issues heal quickly, I’m right there with you!

6. I love that graphic! Bummer about your injury though, I hope it starts to feel better!

I meant to read that book for Julie’s book club but I completely forgot about it. It looks interesting and I’ll definitely have to remember to check it out.

7. I loved the book Thirteen Reasons Why! I read it a few years ago after I picked it up for 3 dollars at a discount store. Lol. It was very depressing, but thought-provoking, like all good books are. Thirteen Reasons Why really made me reflect on how I treat others. It also made me more aware that even when you may feel alone, there is always someone out there who cares about you. Did you get the hardback edition? I thought it was so cool that the book cover had a map on the back!

I kept on hoping that there was a mistake and that she wasn’t really dead. I was wishing too that he could bring her back somehow. I literally cried when he got to the part on the tapes where she talked about him :(

Great review. Great book.

• Katie says:

I do have the hardback edition, but I didn’t see the map, I’ll have to check for it when I get home!! And yes, I also kept hoping she wasn’t really dead, it was so sad!

8. I’m sorry to hear about your IT band girl… Ugh, so frustrating! It sounds like you’re making the right decision to take a little break from running though. At least you can still get those endorphins going with some other forms of exercise! ;)

9. Lia says:

Goodness, Sorry about having the pain come back, or rather not go away. I hope it gets better. I always recommend yoga, but I’m biased! So these last two books have been kinda down. I’m looking forward to following along with an uplifting book read. I’ve found books to really get to me, and if I read a sad book, say, before work, I’ll be a sad little assistant manager at the yoga studio hahahaha! So, I try to avoid them typically. I know, that can prevent me from seeing some quality skill and story-telling, but it hasn’t been worth the mood they get me into. Do they not affect you that way?

• Katie says:

I haven’t found they get me into a sad mood, but I do tend to listen to uplifting music whenever I’m feeling down, so maybe that helps? And yes, I need some yoga!

10. I am so sorry about your IT band, you are so smart for playing it safe. i hope it begins to feel better. I read this book and loved it. I seriously zoomed through it and was so impressed by how well it was written. the voices were so clear!

11. I’m sorry that you have to take another week off. Believe me, I know how frustrating that is! Hopefully one more week off will have you feeling better soon!

12. Wow. Sounds like a really powerful read. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

I’ve never noticed much active bullying in my life. I can only think of one particular person I went to school with who made a point of mocking the “weird” kids in front of everyone else. I think most places I’ve been have a much bigger problem with passive bullying–being exclusive, being cliquey, things that like. My workplace isn’t cliquey because there’s not really enough of us to break off into cliques, but all through my schooling cliques were a problem, and I’ve noticed that they’ve continued into my “real” life as well. People naturally fall into groups, of course, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but I do think there’s something very wrong when those groups get to the point where they become excluding towards people who would like to be part of the group. Cliques aren’t necessarily inherently bad if everyone has a place in one clique or another, but as someone who spent a lot of high school being a “kinda” member of a bunch of different groups because one close friend was in this group, one close friend was in that group, etc., and the first three years of college with a lot of independent friends but no go-to “This is my group of friends” group, I can definitely say that it’s extremely difficult to be groupless in a group culture.

• Katie says:

We definitely have a very cliquey culture in general, which I get but it can be detrimental when people are too exclusive.

13. I enjoyed this book, but it’s hard for me to say I loved it. The material was so disturbing, but it’s a great read for young adults and I always push it in my library.

• Katie says:

Haha yea I have a hard times saying I “love” a book that was so sad! Although I’m not sure I’d call the material “disturbing,” I felt like all of it was honest and pretty realistic, except for the peeping Tom guy… that was weird.

14. I was totally bullied growing up. I used to let these two girls put my uniform sweatshirt over my head and hit me because I wanted them to be my friend so badly. And then, as I got older, I would make fun of myself and act silly so that no one could be the first to do it!

I was kind of bummed by the book. I thought it was going to be a lot different, but it felt like the story was missing pieces to make it as dramatic and some of the characters were. I don’t know if that makes sense or not. It’s still a really important issue and I’m not trying to make light of it, I just didn’t love it as a story overall.

• Katie says:

Aww I’m sorry you had such a rough time with bullies, it’s so hard when you’re younger and want so badly to make friends.

15. Ugh. IT band issues are the worst! Keep your chin up, it’ll be worth it to take the time off!

ANd I agree-it was a quick, interesting read, but it was oh so sad. :(

16. Sorry to hear about the injury. Hope you are better ASAP.

Love the workout image. Hope you have a great week!

17. Yaara Leve says:

Katie!
    I feel your pain. I sprained/strained my ankle running this past Sunday–and it sucks!! You need to listen to your body though! It’s so important. Swimming is a great cross-training choice!! I actually swam laps today and it really made my joints feel better. There’s something about the water that circulates throughout your muscles that makes it feel good. It’s also a great full-body workout. I’ll be thinking about you and hope you heal soon!