WIAW–Pumpkin Craziness

November 7, 2012 by Katie

Happy Wednesday everyone! Before we get on to WIAW, I wanted to give you all an update on my IT band problems. I got a free injury screening yesterday at Accelerated Rehab Centers. The woman who I saw could tell immediately from watching me walk and then just touching my hips what the problem was. I’ve always known that my whole body, shoulders, hips and legs, were a little “off,” meaning that one side of my body sits lower than the other. Well, she told me that because of this it’s making my right leg hit at an angle, and my left hip doesn’t rotate as it should when I walk/run. When she looked at my knee caps, you could visibly see how my right one is straight and my left one is angled. Winning.

Anyway, what does this mean? Well it means that once I get a referral from my physician for insurance purposes, I’ll be going in to see a physical therapist to try and correct some of my problems. I really don’t have much information beyond that, but she seemed to imply that I will be back to running, although I’ll see later on how this will affect my decision to do another marathon. She said the increase in mileage is really what intensified this problem. She also said that I could have foam rolled and stretched my little heart out and it wouldn’t have helped much, so I’m glad I decided to go in.

When will I start running again? I don’t know. How do I feel about it? I want to knock over every runner I see. Not a happy camper today (Tuesday). Hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow? Hmm we’ll see.

So, on to What I Ate Wednesday! Haha, great transition, huh? If you’re new to WIAW, head over to Peas and Crayons to see what it’s all about!

Peas and Crayons

Since I’ve done enough talking today, WIAW is going to be a bit abbreviated.

1. Post-workout snack: 1/2 banana and 1/2 Premier Protein drink

2. Breakfast from Starbucks at school: Oatmeal and nuts, plus coffee.

3. Lunch: turkey and tomato sandwich with bell pepper and sriracha.

4. Post-lunch dessert: 1/2 cup canned pumpkin with flax milk, cinnamon and pumpkin spice heated up for 1:30 in the microwave, topped with PB2 mixed with chocolate.

5. Pre-GOTR snack: repeat plus walnuts. I looooove this!

6. Munched on throughout the day: Fun sized M&Ms!

7. Dinner: spaghetti squash, 2 chicken sausages and marinara.

8. Dessert: pumpkin and pb2 with chocolate… again. 9. Evening snack: Decaf coffee w/cocoa powder and a sliced Honeycrisp apple

Anyone else obsessed with pumpkin right now?

Any favorite quotes or verses that make you feel better?

1. :( Sorry to hear about the running. You’ll be back to it before you know it!

2. i’m bummed about your IT band but so glad you got it checked out and are doing something about it! also i love sriracha on raw veggies but i ALWAYS forget to do it. this is a perfect reminder! spicy food = better food :)

3. Okay. Can I just say that I really love your eats from Tuesday and the fact that you admitted to feeling jealous? They’re real and normal and fabulous. I’m glad that you got your consult and that you’ll be able to run again (soon enough!). Just remember, it isn’t about the marathon distances, it’s about the joy of the sport. ;)

4. Kaitlyn says:

I have similar issues with being kind od ‘crooked’ at times. My family has an AMAZING chiropractor that we see that always puts me right again! Might be something to look into? Good luck!

5. Your pumpkin snacks have made hungry and your comment about knocking over other runners made me crack up.

Hope your leg starts to feel better soon and that you come out of this even stronger.

• Katie says:

Thanks Allison! An I hope the runners think it’s as funny if I ever “accidentally” bump them… Lol I won’t…

6. I have issues with my alignment too — I need to make an appointment with my chiropractor so I can get adjusted and see if it helps! I hope that you’re back to running in no time!

7. I’m sorry about your injury. That sounds similar to an issue that I had to go to PT for 6 months for. The PT was amazing. She would make me sit with my legs out and literally show me how one leg was higher than the other. She did a bunch of stretches, pops, etc. and it started to gradually line up. I try to keep up with the exercises to create equal muscle distribution and flexibility within my hips, but I’m not always as good as I should be.

8. I had alignment issues growing up with my hips and back. Going to the chiropractor really helped! I’m sorry you are having issues!

9. So sorry you’re dealing with this sucky injury! Hang in there – PT will help tremendously! Have you thought about going to see a chiropractor? I’ve been going to one for almost a year and he’s my miracle worker. My hips were totally off and I swear he’s the reason I was able to train for both my half marathons without any major issues with my back/hips/IT band. (minus my now foot stress fracture of course). If your insurance allows it and it’s not too expensive, you should maybe give that a try along with the PT.

10. Christina says:

I’m sorry Katie about your injury. :( just know that you will get through it and will be back to running in no time :). I bought my first jar of pb2 and I’m in love! Love your pumpkin themed eats. The quote I live by is one day at a time

11. So sorry about your injury, Katie. Stuff like that is so discouraging when it keeps you away from what you truly love.

I’ve been meaning to try that Starbucks oatmeal forever. Must remember that!

• Katie says:

Definitely try it! Although it’s very dependent on how much water they put in – sometimes it’s too much and it’s soupy and other times they don’t put enough and I add a little in myself!

12. starbucks oatmeal is seriously delicious! I used to have it all the time! yummy yummy!

13. That pumpkin snack looks great, I see why it made so many appearances!

14. man that dinner looks so good. I love heating up some canned pumpkin, delicious!

15. I hope your IT band feels better soon! Taking a break from running is a total bummer, but before you know it, I’m sure you’ll be back at it :)

16. Injuries are the worst, but PT will get you back running so fast you’ll be amazed. Plus, it will teach you some awesome strength training exercises you can do for the rest of your life. It’s like personal training that’s covered by insurance!

17. I’m glad you went in to get everything checked out. I wonder if after a break from running you could get inserts to help align everything?? I’m not a doctor though (obvi) but I wish the best for you!!

When I was hurt last year I seriously wanted to trip every runner I saw. It will get better though I promise!

I made a very similar pumpkin snack a few times last weekend. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it microwaved but it was so good!

18. Anna Lynn says:

I’m glad you’re getting some answers to your issues! I am also very “lop-sided”. Shirts fall off of my left shoulder and I would always get into trouble at dance class for holding that shoulder lower and for my right hip being significantly higher than my left in many stretches. Just recently my uneven body has given me pain in my hips, knees, and muscles (especially after running I’ve noticed). Keep us updated and I’ll be praying that you feel better soon!

On another note, that pumpkin combo looks way too delicious. I’m going to try it tonight when I get home from rehearsal!

19. I’ve been there on the running issues…had to stop for two months but I’m now much fitter and stronger because of it; the crosser trainer will be your best friend, embrace it and weights! Hopefully you’re fighting fit in no time!

20. Hooray for PTs!! They’ll get your life back on track! Your eats look super tasty, if it makes you feel any better. ;)

21. Lia says:

Poo! But at least you have a much better idea of what is going on, and go in the direction of realigning yourself. I’m glad the screening had something to say. It’s the worst when they have no idea. I love pumpkin everything. pumpkin Mole…oh yes!

22. Oh bummer :( But I am SO glad you went in to see her!

I love pumpkin too. SOOO good!

23. Gosh I love M & M’s….they are the perfect snacking treat! (emphasis on the treat!!!).

Happy WIAW :)

24. lindsay says:

I’m just glad you will be running again. Injuries are the worst, but so glad your PT has hope. I know you will get through this! Enjoy the holidays recovering and healing.

25. Dee says:

I LOVE pumpkin too! question – do you add the PB2 after you microwave the pumpkin?

26. Ugh, sorry to hear about your IT band, but at least it’s nice to have an answer, right?! Don’t get too down on yourself… It’s only temporary and you’ll be back before you know it! :)

• Katie says:

Ugh I hope so, it’s just frustrating when I already have taken 2 weeks off and I was supposed to start half training this week!

27. I haven’t been able to run for months because I tore my acl in a race in August so I definitely know the feeling of the jealously. I tried explaining it to my boyfriend the other night and he just didn’t get it. I finally came to grips with it recently and I told myself that I will just appreciate it that much more when I am all fixed!

• Katie says:

I always appreciate running the most when I’m coming off an injury. I hope you don’t have to wait too much longer to start back up!

28. Ooh, that spaghetti squash looks and sounds amazing! I’ll have to try that combo soon!

29. I got this weird organic pumpkin that is really solid and I hate it. I need to just keep it real and get the Libby’s. I used pumpkin in some vegan chili and it was amazing. We used to eat pumpkin all year round in South Africa, so it doesn’t have the same novelty for me anymore.

• Katie says:

Lol I eat pumpkin here all year round, the market next to my building sells Libby’s year round! A lot of places do, actually, you just have to look for it in the baking aisle. And your organic pumpkin might just be that can, that happened to me once, it was really weirdly firm…

30. Cate says:

I’m sorry about your continued IT band issues. Going to the PT sounds like it was the right thing to do. They will definitely help you get back on the right track!

31. Sorry to hear about your knee! Do you use a foam roller? I heard that can really help. I’ve been pumpkin obsessed!! And my all-time favorite quote is from my idol, Jane Goodall: “we have a choice to use the gift of our lives to make the world a better place”

• Katie says:

yes, I use a foam roller but as I mentioned the PT said they won’t help much in my situation. And I love that quote!!

32. […] – BLAH. Lol that’s how the whole day was. I found out that morning that I’m all twisty and need to see a physical therapist (appointment is today). I did 20 minutes on the elliptical […]