WIAW–Last First Day of the Semester

January 23, 2013 by Katie

Good morning and happy Wednesday! I hope you’re all having a good week so far, mine is going well but pretty short! Monday is my longer day of classes and since we didn’t have it, I only have 4 classes to attend this week! I realized yesterday that I have way more free time this semester than I’ve ever had before, so I think I need to try and find some kind of job or volunteer position. I’d love to do Girls On The Run again, but my free time is more during the school day rather than after school, which is when they need coaches. Hopefully I’ll find something interesting!

Now, onto WIAW – LAST EVER FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! At least for now, I have zero intention of going back to school, so Tuesday was my very last first day! WHOOOHOOO!!! Haha. If you’re new to What I Ate Wednesday, head on over to Peas and Crayons to see what it’s all about and see the other participating bloggers.

Peas and Crayons

I started off my morning with a mug of hot water and lemon and then headed straight off to the gym.

When I returned I was pretty hungry, but not sure what to make. I knew I wanted eggs, but I also wanted to use my Vitamix. I decided to scramble 2 eggs in coconut oil and then make a smoothie! Into the blender went flax milk, spinach, frozen peaches, frozen strawberries, some stevia and some xantham gum (for thickness).

I think I may have put in a little too much xantham gum because my “smoothie” was super thick… haha oh well!

I had to rush off to school because when I checked the bus there was one in 5 minutes, or 30 and 30 was too late. I was out the door in a flash and without a lunch or snack!

For lunch I stopped at Chipotle and got their salad with chicken, 2 kinds of salsa and guacamole! Never fails to be delicious.

After lunch I did some homework and went to the bookstore to buy the 2nd largest book I’ve ever purchased (the largest was the Black’s Dictionary). Seriously. I almost laughed.

Then I had my class, which was 2 hours long. During class I sipped on some Starbucks coffee (Blonde roast, to which I added a bit of cinnamon and some skim milk).

I also had this KIND bar near the end of class:

When I got home I quickly threw together dinner since it was around 7pm. I baked a salmon filet coated in lemon pepper, sautéed “southern greens” from Trader Joes in a little coconut oil, and microwaved a sweet potato. Served with ketchup to keep it classy…

For dessert I had Katie’s voluminous ice cream, with honey and a cocoa powder/flax milk mixture on top. I also had an un-pictured apple with a little more honey! (while watching The Bachelor, of course).

Do you have a drink you have every morning?

What’s your favorite way to cook fish? I’d love suggestions!

1. Miz says:

Im so so so boring but its what I love.
    BLACK COFFEE
    POACHED FIST.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz :-)

2. how much xanthum gum should i put in a smoothie? i have never tried this but have some in my pantry….

• Katie says:

I’d start with about 1/8 of a tsp, and work your way up. I think too much gives it a weird taste, it’s best to start with less and then add more if you think you need it.

3. Meg says:

BBQ girl!!!!!! BBQ fish!!!!! Or pan fry :) If you don’t have a bbq ;) Have a great first day!!!!!!

4. I don’t have that many creative ideas to cook fish. Except I have made fish sticks a few times. Just slice the fish into small strips, dip in egg, and then you can coat them in just about whatever! I think at the time I was still eating gluten, so I probably dipped them in oat flour, wheat flour or breadcrumbs. Spray with some pam for extra CRUNCH. And then just bake!

Your thick smoothie looks extra good. Like ice cream!

5. WATER! I don’t cook fish much – I’m too intimidated. The only thing I’ve done is bake it in the oven haha

6. In the morning, I have ACV with water, a bit of apple juice and stevia. Tastes good and it seems to work well for me.

I really admire that you want to find a volunteer position with your spare time. When I find out I have more time than expected, my first reaction is “Yay! More TV!”

7. I always drink a bottle of water first thing (or during/after my workout) and then I move on to coffee. I figure I should rehydrate before I dehydrate myself again.

I rarely cook fish but when I do, I like to either grill it on my foreman (city cooking here) or cook it in a pan with a little oil and lemon juice.

8. Hot water with lemon every morning lately! I’m loving it.

I’d love to hear some suggestions about cooking fish, too. I usually end up cooking it in a pan with some kind of oil…boring. Although I did coat some tilapia with pesto the other week which was very good!

9. kelsey says:

I am cracking up at how thick that smoothie you had for breakfast was. It looks like green icing.

Also, is that mug for me? Since it has a K on it?

10. I have coffee with a dash of milk or heavy whipping cream almost every morning. I just love it. Your smoothie bowl cracks me up – it looks more like ice cream because it’s so thick! Haha. And after seeing your Chipotle, I NEED to go there soon. It’s been too long.

11. Congrats on starting your last semester! That’s so exciting. I drink coffee and water every morning.

12. Caitlin H says:

Mmm your wiaw are always so tasty looking :) and congrats on your last first day of school!! That’s awesome! I always start my day with a big glass of water and then consume two mugs of tea after my workout/run with breakfast

13. it is nice to hear you have more free time! and yay for last first day, that is awesome

14. Lindsay says:

I need coffee every morning. Given. But always after I workout. I don’t cook fish often enough so I need suggestions too! :)

• Katie says:

I like to drink my coffee pre-workout if I have the time! Apparently the caffeine is helpful? Haha any excuse to drink coffee is good with me.

15. Kaitlin says:

How was the blonde roast? I’m still on my hunt for the perfect Starbucks drink. Usually I go with an americano or just iced coffee. If I don’t have time to go out to get a coffee, it’s lots of tea :)

Oh I still need to watch this week’s episode of the Bachelor!

16. I love fish in the over–baked. Or in the pan -seared.

YAY for your LAST first day ever!

17. elise says:

all i have to say is im insanely jealous of your vitamix.

18. Now I want Chipotle, great. Haha! Yum

19. Chipotle is seriously the best. Now you have me craving it!!! ;)

20. Lately I’ve been drinking coffee with a little cocoa powder, coconut milk and peppermint stevia. It tastes just like a peppermint mocha! I love my smoothies thick! That’s how I tend to make them so I can enjoy them in a bowl with a little granola on top. Yum!

21. haha I love “served with ketchup to keep it classy”

22. Lacey says:

You have to make sorbet!! It’s THE coolest phenomenon I’ve experienced with the vitamix.

23. i’m boring in the morning – i drink a cup of coffee and two liters of water before i get to work. that’s my goal every morning anyway. i always get to work having to go to the bathroom SUPER bad lol. congrats on your last first day! i’m not going to lie – i’m super excited to see where you’re going to end up in a few short months! i know whatever you end up doing you’re going to be amazing!

24. Kristabel says:

I hope you find some fun things to do with you free time, but also remember that is okay to have some chill time to relax!

25. Woohoo congrats on your last first day of school ever! That must feel so good.

I drink a decaf coffee or latte almost every morning. I tried switching to tea for a few months, but I had to go back to coffee. It’s my fave. :D

26. I pretty much ate the same thing as you today haha! I had a smoothie and eggs, then leftover Chipotle (from my WIAW day), and a cashew date KIND!

27. I love it when my smoothies come out that thick, it’s an excuse for me to eat it out a bowl. :-)

28. lindsay says:

you had me at chipotle… to die for salad. or maybe it;s the guac? i don’t know. either way.. GOOD

29. I’ve got to be honest with you – at first I thought you were going to put the eggs into the smoothie! So glad you didn’t, as it looks wonderful. :-)

My favorite way to cook salmon is just with some melted butter and lemon juice poured over the top before grilling it.
    Any other fish, though, I coat in lemon juice and a sprinkle of panko crumbs. So good!

30. Congrats on the last first day of school! I graduated law school last May and completely understand what an AWESOME feeling that is :)