Workouts + The Secret Keeper

February 3, 2013 by Katie

Halo!

Today’s greeting is in honor of my future… cousin in law? Is that a thing? Anyway, it’s polish. They aren’t getting married until this summer, but I went to a shower for them this weekend!

As I mentioned in yesterday’s goal post, I want to get back into strength training. I’ve found that not having a race training plan to base my workouts around has made things difficult for my type-A personality so I decided to use my own advice and come up with a workout schedule, which I’ll post each week. I’m sure you all missed my picmonkey weekly workout images, right?

feb 4 workouts

Monday – 1.75 mile run plus a Jillian Michaels workout video

Tuesday – Rest day (traveling all day and then going straight to an evening class)

Wednesday  – 1.75 mile run + Jillian Michaels Video (or strength at gym)

Thursday – Cycle class if I get up early enough (it’s at 5:30am) or Zumba

Friday – Total strength class (similar to body pump)

Saturday – 2 mile run + Cardio of some sort (maybe zumba, or elliptical)

Sunday – Total strength class

So that’s the plan! And as always, it’s important to be flexible with your plans and adjust accordingly. We’ll see how this goes at the beginning of next week!

This month’s book for Julie’s book club was Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.

The Secret Keeper is a novel about an older actress in London, Laurel, who has always wondered about a mysterious and tragic event that she witnessed as a child. A crime that occurred on a simple and beautiful summers day, while she sat in her tree house looking on. Before this event, Laurel had grown up in a somewhat “perfect” family, the eldest child with 3 sisters and baby brother and parents who are very much in love.

As an adult, Laurel revisits these memories and begins a quest only to discover that her elderly, dying mother, Dorothy (Dolly) has been keeping something from her family for decades. The novel switches back and forth between Laurel’s quest to discover the secret and the time leading up the significant “secret” event in Dorothy’s life during World War One.

This was a looooong book. It kept my interest the whole time, but it felt a little dragged out. Beyond that, however, I really enjoyed this book. I loved the historical factor to it, but also I loved the intrigue of discovering that your parents had whole lives before you, that they may not have been who you thought they were. Another thing that I loved about the book was that it’s completely unpredictable. You think you’ve figured out the secret but, nope, you didn’t. I was actually SHOCKED when I got to it at the end! I so didn’t see it coming! Love books like that.

What is a workout you’re looking forward to this week?

What’s the last book you read with a shocking plot twist?

1. Miz says:

**SKIPS OFF TO DOWNLOAD THE SECRET KEEPER**

2. kelsey says:

hmmm this sounds intersting. do you own it…?

3. I am training for a half right now, and don’t want to lose muscle mass, so I am trying to do more strength training as well! I just downloaded the Secret Keeper a few weeks ago, and haven’t finished yet, I need to get reading!

4. tam says:

hello!
    If you don’t mind me asking, which Jillian Michaels dvd workouts do you do and would recommend . Would love to hear your feedback on them. Thanks Tam x

• Katie says:

I have Ripped in 30 and 30 Day Shred. I only do them randomly and don’t follow the program of doing it every day for 30 days. I LOVE them both because they’re quick workouts (25-30 min including warm up and stretching after) that progress from level 1 – 3(or 4 in ripped in 30). Plus the way she breaks up the workout makes them fly by! You only need a set of hand weights and a mat unless you have carpet.

• tam says:

Thanks! I’ll have a look into both of those. I am in need of some good home workout dvds so if there are any others you recommend, please let me know. xx

5. I’m excited to get a nice long (for me) run in this week. I often wind up trading off great running weeks with great strength weeks. Last week I did great with my strength so I’m hoping my legs will be fresh for a nice 5 miler today.

6. those classes sound like a blast, i wish I had classes like that near me

• Katie says:

You should see if there are any big gyms around you, I go to a national gym chain and they have tons of free classes.

7. Secret Keeper will be added to my Goodreads as soon as I’m done commenting….

I’m the same way with workouts. Even if I’m not training for something, I always have some sort of workout plan.

8. I plan on getting hopefully 3-4 3milers in – starting to train for my half marathon! Your workouts look great, I love Jillian michaels videos, but they are tough. I definitely need to strength train more!

9. Katie H. says:

The Secret Keeper is on my request list at the library!

I read Gone Girl in January (I think I remember that you read it recently??). Talk about plot twists!!

10. I loved Kate Morton’s previous book but haven’t read this one yet.

11. Caitlin H says:

Ahh now i really want to read this book! Both you and Julie made it sound awesome and like something i would enjoy since i love historical fiction! Going on amazon wishlist! And my workour week is full of running and yoga…just the way i like it for now :)

12. You’re pics of workouts are so cute! I’m waiting for that book from the library–so I’ll eventually read it I am sure :)

13. I really liked “The Secret Keeper!”! I’ve read one other of her books, but now I can’t wait to read more. The twist at the end totally surprised me, too!

14. […] The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton […]