1. Hey friends! How are you today!? I’m a little rough this morning… I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t stop debating whether or not to go to Beachbody Summit this year. I already bought my ticket and my hotel, but I haven’t paid for travel yet. Of course, that price just keeps going up and up, which is making this decision harder and harder! Neither option is a 100% good choice so I’m really struggling but also need to decide ASAP! BAH.
Edited: Ticket purchased!!! Hopefully I sleep well tonight…
2. In more fun news, our first grade gets chicken eggs from 4-H every year to learn about how to incubate eggs and how they hatch and become baby chicks. Guess what? They just hatched! I got to see them in the process but here’s a picture of them all cute and fluffy!
3. This past weekend, I went to Omaha with my friend Maddie! I was surprised that it was a little more “hip” than I anticipated, but it’s definitely SMALL! We had a good time though!
4. The funniest part of our trip was the fact that our Air BnB was directly across the street from a correctional facility… no joke. This was in DOWNTOWN Omaha. We were dying. It’s not a Maddie/Katie trip without something like this happening.
5. One afternoon I saw TWO Harry Potter bumper stickers! Big day.
6. Can we talk about the fact that it’s snowing? We’re supposed to have graduation outdoors on Saturday morning… I have a feeling we’ll be on to plan B.
1. Happy Thursday! What are you all up to this weekend? I’m going to OMAHA! Yep! Haha. I’ve never been, but a friend of mine is considering moving there so we’re flying out to Nebraska to check it out!
2. Does anyone else use the app, TimeHop? I think it’s such a fun way to go back through your photos and memories without getting sucked into Facebook for an hour. The app just shows you what happened on that day 1 year ago, 2 years ago, etc.
3. I may not have been posting much here over this past spring but I was still writing! I write three articles a week for the JD Journal on various lifestyle topics! You can find my articles here, although they don’t seem to be in chronological order… but oh well!
4. Another place I’ve been posting is not necessarily on Instagram but on my InstagramSTORY! I’ve been enjoying other people’s stories (a couple friends and a couple celebrities) so I wanted to share a bit of my day by day in there.
5. I just discovered this new app called the Pillow App. It tracks your sleep by your movements throughout the night. I’m not quite sure how accurate it is… but I do know it’s telling me my quality of sleep is sub-par, which might be one reason why I’ve been so tired recently.
6. How have I not mentioned my niece, Addie?! She turned one about a month ago and she’s almost walking now! I can’t believe she’s already a year old! She’s also super fun to have dinner with and a surprisingly good conversationalist. Aunt life is the best life 🙂
7. I started a new job at the end of November doing fundraising for a K-12 school. One thing I love about working there is that there is always something interesting going on that I get to go see or be a part of. This one wasn’t quite as interesting, but I loved it! One of the Middle School English teachers let me take a couple worksheets on analogies and homophones and I had way too much fun filling them out.
Did you know that many bloggers will start a blog post or write down an idea and then never finish writing? Did you know that many of us have a small stockpile of unfinished posts sitting on our computers or in our drafts that never came to fruition?
Sometimes this stockpile is where I go when I need an idea for a post, but most of the time they sit there, unfinished because I lost the train of thought or inspiration for the post. Today, I thought it would be fun to share with you the titles of all those posts (mind you, these go back to late 2014) as well as to see if there’s something, in particular, you’d want to know more about.
A side note: this list is also really just a small section of all the posts I didn’t write since many were deleted! I’d often go back and delete ones that I’d changed my mind about or didn’t like after looking back over them.
All The Posts I Didn’t Write:
Ordered from most recent to a long, long time ago…
Get Out Of The Starting Gate
What It Means To Live In The Moment
Your Thoughts Aren’t Always True
Real Tips To Improve Self Esteem
Why I Put My Life On The Internet
Create Your Vibrant Life 4-Week Group
I’m A REAL Life Coach!!!
Learning How To Set Boundaries
Do More, Be More
On Monetizing Your Fitness Blog
Calorie Counting Is Out
The Gift of Singleness
Calligraphy for Beginners
When God Tells You To Slow Down, Listen
ChaLEAN Extreme Review
Asking For Help
Cookbook Review: Fixate
Creating A Day Of Rest
How Do You Refuel?
FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out
Most of these posts will never see the light of day, but a few of them I may go back and see if I can become reinspired to write them or something similar. However, I’d also like your opinion!
If you had to choose one or two of these topics, which would you most want to read more about?
For people who know me well, or at least those I vent to or come to for advice, this fact is pretty obvious, but to most everyone else it probably looks like I have a clear idea of what I want and where I’m going:
I decided to do my undergrad in Charleston, SC.
I decided to go to law school.
I decided to on a law school in Chicago.
I decided being a lawyer wasn’t for me.
I decided to move to Colorado.
I decided to become a life/Beachbody coach.
I decided to take my new job.
But you want to know something? Each of those decisions, and many, many more small ones, have come with a lot of internal struggle and debate. I think a big part of why I have such a hard time making decisions is that I’m the kind of person who thinks through every consequence and where each path would take me. Along with that, I feel a need to make the “perfect” choice, the right choice.
However, I’m slowly learning a very important lesson: there isn’t always a right choice. Sure, each choice could lead us down an entirely different path, but wherever you’re meant to be in life, you’ll get there.
While I definitely still struggle, there are some things I’ve learned along the way when it comes to making decisions, big or small.
Don’t ask everyone else’s opinion.
Often, our very first instinct when it comes to big decisions is to ask everyone else’s opinion. Sometimes you want other ideas, sometimes you hope someone will say exactly what you need to hear, and other times you just want one person to confirm what you already want, whether you know that consciously or not. The problem with asking everyone else, however, is that your mind can be muddled with everyone else’s outside perspective and it’s harder to hear your inner voice. If you’re a people pleaser, this can also lead to problems when deciding whose advice to take.
If you have someone you really trust and who knows you really well, then talk it through with them but make sure they are doing more listening than talking. Remember, however, that at the end of the day it’s best to go with your gut rather than someone else’s suggestion.
Ask God’s Opinion.
I struggle with this one because, unlike asking your friends and family, you don’t get a direct answer from God (or the universe, or whatever higher power you believe in). But taking the time to talk or write out your thoughts and put that burden on God can help lift a weight from your shoulders. Maybe you’ll get a clear sign which way to go or not to go, or maybe the answer is silence, simply meaning that it’s your choice and either way will work.
“For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you’” (Isaiah 41:13).
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28–30).
“The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles” (Psalm 34:17).
Feel the Feelings.
Are you scared of something? Are you worried that it will all go wrong even if you make the decision that you honestly want the most? Certain thoughts can often pop up in our brain whenever a triggering event happens. Most of the time, these thoughts are repetitive throughout our lives, like you always think “I’m a failure” or “I can’t handle complex jobs” or “I’m not smart/pretty/thin/outgoing enough.” Most of the time, these thoughts stem from one true example in our past and therefore we believe they’re always true. Write these thoughts down and ask yourself, “Is this really true?” More often than not, it’s an unfounded fear. Feel that feeling, and then recognize it comes from something untrue. It might be scary, but you have to move forward and prove yourself wrong.
Think About How You’ll Feel Afterwards.
Does one direction give you a sense of relief? That’s a big sign it’s the right direction to go in. Think about how you’ll feel if you choose one way or the other. Will you feel good about your decision or will you feel uneasy? Will you feel proud of yourself or will you feel like you’ve chosen the easy way or the choice that goes against your values or your dreams for your life? One way might be the harder and more difficult choice, but you know you’ll feel good once you’ve accomplished whatever you decided to do.
Test Out Giving Up Control Over The Decision.
I heard this suggestion on the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft. If you truly can’t make a decision, take a coin and assign one choice to Heads and one choice to Tails. Flip the coin and whichever side comes up is the decision you’ll make. When that side comes up, how do you feel? Do you feel relieved? Do you feel disappointed? Doing this often reveals your true feelings about the decision you’re trying to make.
Test The Waters.
When I decided to start my blog, I actually decided to just write for a week. I’d give it one week and if I kept wanting to write, then I’d keep writing. If it wasn’t for me, then I’d stop. As you can tell, it’s been 5+ years, so I guess I never stopped! If you can, try just testing one option, whether that’s trying out a new workout program, shadowing someone at their job, or taking a course in a certain major or profession. While this tactic doesn’t work for decisions where it’s all or nothing, it can be helpful in some situations.
Sometimes you’ll do all these things and still struggle with a choice.
That’s the time when you have to just make one, or take some time to see what your gut tells you. When I decided to go to school in Chicago, I took a month of not talking to anyone about it and waiting until I knew I felt like that was where I was meant to be. I couldn’t make up my mind at first but eventually, one decision felt right.
On the other hand, I’ve been debating for months whether or not to take a certain trip this summer. Finances are the biggest reason why I wouldn’t go, but I’ve also thought through how I’ll feel either way and there doesn’t seem to be a “right” answer. So right now, I’m hoping my gut will kick in or I’ll be trying Heads or Tails soon!
Long time no chat, huh? Thank you for checking back in with me!
To be completely honest, I just haven’t had much I wanted to write about lately! I’ve always used this blog as a creative outlet but for the past couple of months, I just haven’t had a lot to say nor a desire to write. Life has been busy, my priorities have been shifting, and my energy is going elsewhere. Recently, however, I’ve been getting inspiration here and there for a blog post so I just have to get myself to sit down and write!
Today, I thought we’d do a little catch-up on what’s going on in my life. We’ll have our own little virtual coffee date!
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you that this past Friday night we had a big fundraising event to raise money for tuition assistance (I work for an independent school). It was a BLAST even though I was completely exhausted by the end of the night. I made a ridiculous amount of cotton candy for centerpieces and goodie bags, I was on my poor feet for over 12 hours (not used to that!), but I had so much fun seeing everyone dressed up, the event come together and how much money we raised!
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you that right after my last blog post we had spring break! I am SO lucky that I get some of the school breaks, like spring break, and had a week off! I spent most of my time down in Colorado Springs with my mom but I also got a chance to ski at Copper Mountain for a day. I LOVE getting into the mountains and spending time out there so I decided to get the Epic Local Pass for skiing next year!
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you that I’ve been doing a lot of dog-sitting! I see Molly (golden retriever above) when I visit or babysit my niece, but I’ve also been dog sitting for other people to earn a little extra money and, of course, because I enjoy it! Dogs are the best. 🙂
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you I’m also “working” a lot of sports games at school! They need people to work the clock and keep score, so I signed up for a bunch of lacrosse and soccer games this Spring. It’s a really fun way to actually see the kids, spend some time outdoors and get to know the athletic staff better. I can’t wait for Fall sports!
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you I’ve also been doing quite a bit of hiking over the past month! I went hiking three out of the four weekends in April because it was so nice! One trip was the Manitou Incline with my dad, one with my friend Maddie, and then one with Amanda and a few of her friends. I’m excited for summer and am looking for more places to hike!
If we were having coffee…
I’d tell you that I hope to blog more and already have some posts started for the next month or so! The transition to Colorado and then a new job has been harder on me than I anticipated, so I lost a bit of my creative energy for a while there, but I’m slowly feeling more settled and comfortable and hopefully, it will be coming back and I’ll feel a little more like myself again! Stay tuned 🙂
What’s been going on in your life over the past month!?