I’ve been listening to the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft and at the end of each episode, they share a happiness demerit and a happiness gold star. Today I want to share my happiness gold stars because I’ve had a lot over the past week!
1. Gold star to my school/job. I have to admit, my job now comes with WAY more perks than any other job I’ve had. This past weekend, not only did we have four FULL days off (Sat – Tues) but Friday was a half-day Staff and Faculty Retreat where we had breakfast, a morning speaker, and then went to three different sessions that we’d signed up for, all having something to do with relaxation or mindfulness. My sessions were zentangles (drawing), learning how to play the violin (SO COOL) and then a 40 minute meditation which was suuuuper relaxing.
2. Gold start to me (and new friends). After that retreat I was ready to drive up to the Boulder area and pick up Molly, but one of my new friends at work invited me to tacos and drinks at a restaurant nearby. I almost didn’t go… but I remembered that we rarely regret things we DO and we usually regret it when we DON’T do something. So I went. And of course I’m so glad I did because it was fun and I got to know some new people. Albeit I then got stuck in rush hour traffic… but it was worth it.
3. Gold star to Molly. I had Molly from Friday through Monday this weekend and I absolutely LOVED it. It was SO NICE to have here there in general and to have the perfect reason to get outside constantly during the weekend.
4. Gold star to my friend, Maddie. Molly was a little uneasy in my apartment (she’s not used to hearing people move and talk all around her!) and she’d bark at some noises until I told her it was okay. Because of the barking, I didn’t want to leave her alone in my apartment (for her and my neighbors) so I wasn’t going to go to church. Maddie said she’d take Molly for a walk near my church so I could go. It was really, really nice of her and I’m so glad I went!
5. Gold star to low-impact HIIT workouts. I’ve had a sharp pain in the side of my upper left thigh that’s been getting worse over the past few days and even worse when I’m walking on it (anyone want to diagnose me!?). I think it may be sciatic nerve pain but either way, it means I’m not running or jumping until it feels better. I googled “low impact HIIT workout” and found several that I’ve been able to do. Bonus? They’re SHORT! Haha. Good thing I’m focusing on strength training these days more than cardio!
6. Gold star to my friend, Britney. Britney is a friend of mine from Chicago who flew into Denver on Tuesday morning to spend a week with her World Race mentors in Colorado Springs. Since I had the day off, I went to pick her up and we went to brunch and explored a little of Denver before I dropped her off down in Colorado Springs. She gets a gold star because it was SO NICE to talk with her for a few hours. We have a lot in common and it was good to talk to someone who gets some of the things I’m going through and vice versa!
7. Gold star to my readers! Some of you have been so kind and supportive to me, whether it’s here on the blog or on social media. So THANK YOU for even showing up here and reading what I write, whether you comment or not. I hope I’m spreading some life lessons, positivity, and making you feel like you’re not alone in the world!
8. Gold start to this quote. I saw it the other day, loved it and shared it on Instagram so I wanted to share it here too. It’s so easy to wish we had someone else’s life but in reality, we ALL have our struggles and if we actually saw what everyone else was going through, we’d probably want to keep our own lives 😉
What gold star would you like to award this week?