1. This is how my brain works. My small group leader asked us to pick a “theme” for a get together we’re doing, for example: relationships, pain and suffering, or prayer. Here was my response:
2. Guess what! I am running a 4 mile race this weekend!!! I know, I haven’t mentioned training at all. That’s because I’ve run 1.5 miles since… November? Hmm. This will be fun.
3. Monday night I was supposed to make pizza and eat it on Julie’s roof with her and her little brother who is visiting! But then there were tornadoes and pouring rain… so that didn’t happen. I did, however, get soaked to the bone.
4. We made up for it on Tuesday with a walk around Chicago and lunch at a fancy outdoor cafe…
5. You may have heard of the 21 Day Fix (I wrote about it here and here) but it is on SALE this month (epic – seriously) and I’m thinking of doing at 21 Day Fix group in July where everyone does the program together. Thoughts? Would anyone be interested?
6. I’m not a hockey fan so I wasn’t into the Stanley Cup this year, BUT I did enjoy getting a free iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts after they won Go Blackhawks!
7. Anyone else watching Orange Is The New Black? I basically stopped watching TV for months and then this comes back and I’m hooked! Good thing I’m almost through the season so I can go back to reading… haha.
8. Have a great Thursday!
What is the weirdest themed party you’ve been to or heard of?
Where’s the weirdest place you’ve eaten a meal?
I was reading through an article this weekend titled “Three Ways You’re Making Your Life Harder Than It Has To Be,” and I was suddenly struck by one sentence:
Whoa. That hit me right in the gut because it is SO true for me. Honestly, it’s probably true for a significant portion of the relationships I’ve had in my life. I often go into a friendship or a situation with high expectations: I have a vivid imagination and I use it all. the. time. I imagine things we could do together and how close we’ll be, or I’ll imagine making tons of friends at XYZ and doing this and that. I build such high expectations in my mind that I’m only bound to be disappointed.
One thing that I still can’t manage to learn is that people are HUMAN. People change throughout friendships or people aren’t who I expected them to be. Or maybe I’m not who they expected me to be. Friendships might start of strong and exciting and fun and then they fizzle out and I am left feeling hurt and blaming the other person because they don’t act the way they did at the beginning; the way I expect them to.
On the other hand I have friends who I learned quickly to expect little from. In fact, I have some friends that I purposely have low expectations of just to keep myself from getting hurt by them. But here’s my question: where’s the balance between high expectations and low expectations? Can you not have any expectations?
Although I definitely struggle with feeling hurt and sometimes playing the “victim,” the one thing I do know is that feeling confident in myself and who I am is very important. Some friendships may last a lifetime, but most come and go. As Carrie Bradshaw in Sex & The City said, “Your most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself.”
Image from Stylecaster
Do you ever have too high of expectations for other people?
How do you deal with this problem?
1. Last night the lead pastor for my church’s campus invited my small group and a few others over to his rooftop for a BBQ and it was pretty fun. Both good food and hanging out with good people, and then we got to ask some life and theological questions – it was really cool to have him right there answering anything, and getting other people’s perspectives. Oh and the view? I have never seen such an amazing 360 degree view of the city and the lake.
2. Speaking of good small group times, this past Saturday a few of the girls from my group and I went to a free “Learn To Row” day at the Lincoln Park Boat House. And row, I mean like a crew team. Haha. We actually got to get out on the boats and try it out for an hour as a team and it was a BLAST. I thought about joining their class but it was a bit pricy for 9 sessions… haha. Free day works for me
3. Big debate happening in my small group (I know, again) – how do you pronounce the carbonated water beverage, La Croix? Like you should: La Kwaaa (french) or like you shouldn’t: Le Croy? Haha can you guess which side I’m on?
4. No but really… is it Friday yet? Are you sure? I have felt worn out this week! Doesn’t help that I have these very vivid and completely random/weird dreams that keep popping up in my mind all day long. I have the most bizzare imagination.
5. Monday was Molly’s birthday and after I tweeted out my instagram post, Purina wished Molly a happy birthday! That is one special golden retriever 😉
6. How rude of me to talk about Molly without a photo! Here she is on her fourth birthday!
7. OBVIOUSLY I follow the Chiefs on snapchat, and I’m glad to see that the Chiefs players and I are on the same page for this season…
8. Have a great Thursday!
Are you dreams usually about real life, or totally different, made-up worlds?
Do you celebrate pet birthdays?