November 26, 2013 by Katie
Round two! If you missed it, check out Part 1 of my Tips for New Bloggers series! This week I’m going to be hitting on how to set up your blog!
tips for new bloggers
1. Pick a platform: When I first started writing my blog I used Blogger. Blogger is very user friendly, free and was very easy for me to set up. A few months in, however, I decided to switch to Wordpress.com since many other bloggers used it, I felt like I had more options, and I knew I could buy my own domain name eventually and easily make the move on Wordpress. Also free!
November 25, 2013 by Katie
Hey everyone, I hope you all had a great weekend and are ready for Thanksgiving! I can’t believe I’ll be going home in two days! Here’s a look at what I did this weekend:
Thursday night was skeeball, which was a blast, and then Friday night I was invited to a Friendsgiving Dinner hosted by a girl on my skeeball team. She lives near Chinatown so this is the scene I was greeted with when I got off the El:
We had a great variety of food (I made cranberry sauce) and it was a lot of fun to get to know a new group of women. I didn’t take any photos since my camera was about to die, but I stole this pic from the hostess’s facebook:
November 22, 2013 by Katie
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!! I’m pretty pumped about this weekend because I’m slowly accumulating a social calendar! Last night was Skeeball, tonight I’m probably heading to a Friendsgiving (put on by a fellow skeeballer), tomorrow I’m heading out to Evanston with Kelsey and Lindsay, and then Sunday includes church and a potential coffee date. Relaxed, but fun.
Today I thought I’d put together another Link Love post since it’s been a while, and since it’s Friday, I’m going to link up with Clare’s Friday Five link up! She’s always done the posts but now she’s starting a link up, which I love!
November 21, 2013 by Katie
Oh gosh, I can’t believe it’s already Thursday!? What happened to this week??? Well, guess that means it’s time for another Thursday Thoughts!
1. Anyone else still an America’s Next Top Model fan? I’ve been watching ANTM since the very first season, and I have to say I LOVED that they added boys to the competition this year. I just watched the finale and I have to say I was really happy about the winner, if you watch – what did you think?
2. Did I mentioned I’ve joined a Skeeball league? It’s with the same league I played kickball with this summer, just indoors! Don’t know what skeeball is? I had to…
Category Thursday Thoughts | Tags:
November 20, 2013 by Katie
I received an email from a reader… a really long time ago requesting some tips for new bloggers. Dropped the ball on that one, but better late than never, right? I decided to split this up into at least two different parts – one being more about your writing, networking and handling the blog world, and the second having more practical tips about things like self-hosting, plug-ins, social media and more.
tips for new bloggers
1. Don’t be afraid to change: I’ve been writing Peace Love & Oats for over two years now and over that time my blog has evolved tremendously, from my writing style, to the topics I cover and my attitude about many different things. It’s only expected since I’ve changed as a person over the past two years.
Every time I made a more obvious change, such as writing fewer What I Ate Wednesday posts, or cutting down to 4-5 posts per week, I’ve felt nervous about losing readers and having numbers drop. But I have to remind myself…
November 19, 2013 by Katie
I’m baaaaaaaaack! I had a GREAT time in Denver and I have to say, I was not happy to arrive back in my apartment! As much as I love living in Chicago, there’s nothing like spending 24/7 with your best friend.
We didn’t do anything too exciting in Denver, I’ve been there quite a few times and just went to hang out with her, not be a tourist. We did, however, have quite a few drinks and spent an obscene amount of time doing our hair… perfect girls weekend.
I arrived on Friday around noon and we had lunch, hit up Target, got some froyo and then went to the grocery store to buy ingredients to make dinner for our movie night. On Saturday it was off to the Denver Art Museum where I got to see an exhibit called Passport to Paris, featuring a lot of French artists throughout history…
November 14, 2013 by Katie
Goooood morning! I hope you’re all having a good week so far! Mine is going alright, although back into one of those not so great moods. Hoping a weekend away is just what I need! I may or may not have spent the majority of my day yesterday reading for fun… But hey, I also cleaned my apartment, so productive? Right? Oh well. Back at it today I guess! And, back to another round of thursday thoughts!
1. The Chiefs play the Broncos this weekend, which is a pretty big deal. It’s the first game that I’m legitimately concerned about (although we’re TOTALLY going to win, because we’re going to the SUPERBOW!). Anyway, a good friend of mine is a big Broncos fan (traitor) and we’ve not only put a friendly wager on the game but are “trash” talking one another. Good thing he knows this is as intense as my trash talking gets…
November 13, 2013 by Katie
Good morning and happy Wednesday! For this week’s WIAW post, I chose my food from Monday, a typical day of job searching!
If you’re new to What I Ate Wednesday, head on over to Peas and Crayons to see what it’s all about, and to see the other participating bloggers!
Peas and Crayons
I started out my day by headed to the gym bright and early for a 3 mile run and a 12 minute HIIT workout from Purely Twins. When I got home I showered, got dressed and made some breakfast. For breakfast I made a bowl of Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal, however I nixed the chia seeds and added 1 T psyllium husk (I’m going to add less from now on… super weird texture), 1 tsp maca powder and 1 tsp spirulina, which is what gives this the bizzare green color. Topped with almond butter!
November 12, 2013 by Katie
Although most people refer to the machine as “the dreadmill,” I’m actually one of those rare people who enjoys running on the treadmill. Call me crazy, but I like the comfort and consistency of it. Maybe I’m a just a girl who doesn’t like the unknown, or I just like having my water bottle at hand and a bathroom nearby. Either way, I’m going to try to convince you that treadmill running isn’t as awful as you think!
First, there are several benefits to treadmill running over running out doors. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to argue that there aren’t pros to running outside, but today’s post is all about the benefits of running on a treadmill.
First and foremost: Safety. I’m a 20-something girl living in a big city and when I have to run in the morning or at night my only option outside is total darkness. I’m personally not comfortable hitting the lakefront path at 6am, alone and an easy target for anything from cars to people. The treadmill on the other hand…
November 11, 2013 by Katie
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend, I had a pretty low-key one, but here’s my recap:
Friday afternoon I took Miss Molly on a walk, which is always a highlight of my week. Great photo of her excitement in the elevator (okay, actually about to lick her nose…).
She had some serious energy and really enjoyed running around in the park. We played chase Katie and normally she looses interest but on Friday she was all for running!